A stroll Around the Fisherman's Wharf


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
January 22nd 2024
Published: January 22nd 2024
Edit Blog Post

The song "City of Chicago" goes "In the City of Chicago As the evening shadows fall. There are people dreaming. Of the hills of Donegal."

I can understand why there aren't people dreaming of the hills of San Francisco. They are extremely steep buggers, you know your fitness level or lack of when you tackle one of those. Lombard Street was our first port of call, it claims to have the bendiest street in the world. We had done our quota of hills at this stage, so only looked on from a short distance as cars meandered slowly around the downhill bends. Not to be tried with a hangover and dodgy brakes.

Today we got a glimpse of the Golden Bridge, it is actually 3.5 miles outside the city. It is indeed impressive from the distance, our task now to find a way out to it, though there are other equally impressive bridges that don't get any attention. I guess a tour of bridges would not be the most exhilarating!!
The Wharf is a must visit as a lot of the touristy stuff is accessible from there.
Don't be surprised to get a strong smell of weed wafting through the air. It is quite common to see people smoking it in public. In fact you get the smell before you see the person, not even Old Spice could save a user.
A late afternoon snooze was required after our early morning activities and 14km walking so returned to our hotel. We accidentally found ourselves momentarily in the Tenderloin area of the city which many advised us was a no go. What we saw for the short while was like something from a zombie movie, one elderly lady in her sixties shriveled like an apple in a wheelchair, though ahe could have been 21. Another chap stood in a corner with a blanket over his head, perhaps he saw me approach and didn't want to make conversation, can't blame him really!!.
After a nice snooze and dinner which consisted of the remains of my Turkey BLT, we decided to hit the hotel bar . It had a nice Asian theme.
Our night out was greatly curtailed by the price of $12 per drink, which was a can of imported beer, unsurprisingly everyone left after one. I stretched mine out more than usual, after 2 hours it was gone, a record by anyones standards.
Tomorrow we head to Alcatraz, none of my streaming providers would allow me access to it, which is a little ironic given that we are paying to go this time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb