A lazy few days


Advertisement
Published: March 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Our Haight-Ashbury through Golden Gate Park Walk

We (me, Jenny, Christoph and Sophie & Adam) started off in the famous Haight-Ashbury District, had Pizza for lunch, and then wandered through the park for four and a half hours, before thankfully finding we were just in time for the last bus :)

The Guys at CamaThe Guys at CamaThe Guys at Cama

John, Christoph, Dave, Allan and Adam - a little more energetic than the girls!
It's getting harder and harder to get up in the mornings - but then again, what's the point of being here and not experiencing the local life?

That was the rationalle (after the group of us all saw Karine off on the bus headed for LA - our group is shrinking!) for Saturday night's trip to a funky wee bar in the Mission District, where all the trendy nightspots are. Thankfully there was a large couch covered with cushions, which the girls made full use of, laughing at the tired guys sitting across from us on a bench. Loved the 80's music, and the fruity cocktails.

Everyone had spent the day doing interesting and varied things - Jenny and I spent our afternoon at the SF MOMA - which I thoroughly reccomend. It is a fantastic building containing a fantastic collection - wandering through rooms filled with works by Picaso, Frida Kahlo, Jim Dine, Pollock, Jasper Johns, Calder, Ansel Adams, Diebenkorn, Braque, Rothko, Dali.... was amazing.

Jenny and I have decided to stay an extra couple of days here to round our stay out to a week, there's so much to do, it's a great city and the
Looking through the roof at the San Francisco Museum of Modern ArtLooking through the roof at the San Francisco Museum of Modern ArtLooking through the roof at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art

I loved the art, but I also really liked the building. This is taken looking up through the roof from the wire mesh air-bridge connecting the stairs to the 5th floor gallery - word to the wise, don't look down!
hostel is full of interesting people.

Yesterday we went for a huge long walk all around Haight-Ashbury (the hippie area) and Golden Gate Park (gorgeous but HUGE) with Sophie, Adam and Christoph - much hilarity ensued as we navigated through the hippies, the stoners, the power walkers and various other park users (not to mention the fences!) to reach the bison, which rewarded us for our gutbusting efforts by doing exactly nothing. We were hoping for a stampede or something to show off how 'majestic' they were, but nothing! After a quick and freezing walk to Ocean beach we headed back on the buses to the hostel for a quiet night, including another quick visit to Vesuvio, yum- bailey's coffee!

I spent an hour last night with my camera connected to the computer trying to get photos on here, but so far it has frustrated my best attempts - it's just too slow. I'm heading to a pharmacy today to get my first memory card full put onto disc, so I'll try again with the photos tonight!

Our group has dwindled further today, as Becky is off home and 'the Scottish' have headed to Yosemite. So for
Tired girls on Saturday nightTired girls on Saturday nightTired girls on Saturday night

Sophie, Claire, Jenny, Becky and Juliet - loving the couch at Cama in the Mission district.
us it is shopping and Fisherman's Wharf!

love and hugs to all,
Ju x x

(check out the map I made of our walk - http://www.travelblog.org/gmaps/map_Tr.html)


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

A quiet one at CamaA quiet one at Cama
A quiet one at Cama

Alan (Scottish), Ju and Dave (Manchester) at Cama on Saturday night
San Francisco MOMASan Francisco MOMA
San Francisco MOMA

This is from the same angle from the ground floor lobby, looking up through the air-bridge to the roof...


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb