San Francisco + Alcatraz


Advertisement
Published: June 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This morning we caught the hop on and hop off bus to visit the main shopping area (around Union Square). We ate some breakfast in a cafe in the main square and then wandered around the shops - Nicky bought a nice bag from Bloomingdales. We returned to the pier area in the afternoon via the cable car in preparation for our trip to Alcatraz. The cable car journey was good fun as I was one of those standing on the carriage ledge and holding on as we made our way up and down the steep city streets.

The trip to Alcatraz was interesting and was good to see the island and main prison block. As you can see from the photos, the sky was quite cloudy / foggy and so made the trip quite appropriate for the sombre Alcatraz. There were walking tours and audio tours which was both very good and allowed us to understand the history of Alcatraz (and how it was used as a fort before it became a prison).

We'll be heading to Yosemite park tomorrow and then onto Las Vegas. The temperature in Las Vegas is likely to be over 100 degF (~38degC) when we are there which will be interesting. We're not sure whether we will have internet access in Yosemite and so don't worry if the blog doesn't get updated. We'll keep an eye out for any hungry bears!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



16th June 2013

jail
I put Nicky (a long with her brother and sister ) in jail at Blackgang Chine, on the Isle of White, somehow they escaped.I see she got out of jail again x
16th June 2013

Hi, Sure I got out last time for being good. This time it was so I could drive and fill the car with gas.

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb