Two days in the Wine Country


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Sacramento
December 28th 2010
Published: December 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Ricky and I enjoying a wine 34 secs
2: Private Tasting room 40 secs
We've enjoyed some nice wines in the last couple of days. Yesterday we went to the Napa Valley with Ricky, Rose, Kat and Ricky's sister Agnes. Napa is quite a stylish area, you should really belong to a wine club to enjoy the private tasting rooms, fortunately Agnes is a member of a number of different wine clubs so we got to experience some wine tasting in some exclusive tasting rooms. We visted three wineries - Rutherford Hill, Franciscian and Robert Mondavi (the spelling may be wrong), the wines are a liitle different from Australia, as a rule the reds are a bit lighter and they don't do too many whites. One of the main varieties is a Zinfandel, it's a light red that varies from quite drinkable to "let's try the next one". They also do a Syrah that's like a Shiraz but again it's lighter than an Aussie Shiraz. We took a cheese platter with us, there was a good selection including a nice blue vein that went very well with quince paste and various reds.
We left the wineries at a bit after five, that was closing time, and then met up with Ricky's cousins at the Thunderbolt Casino for dinner. Dinner was buffet style, there was a good selection of food, I had some salmon, tuna, chicken wings, a good slice of beef (medium rare), chinese style veges and salad. Eleanor and I joined as members (no charge) so we got $5 credit for gambling, I had a win on the machines (not much) and then called it a day.
Today Ricky and I went to another wine area called Amador, it's on the way to Lake Tahoe and we could see snow on the mountains. This district isn't as well known as the Napa Valley, the wineries are smaller and very friendly. This region specialises in Italian style wines as the climate is similiar to parts of Italy and Europe. I was able to try quite a few styles that we don't see Australia. We took a cheese platter again and shared it with a couple (Eric and Karen) we met at one the wineries. We'd both bought a bottle to have with lunch so we shared the wine also, it was a relaxing lunch. Unfortunately the battery in the camera had gone flat so I didn't get any shots.
Eleanor didn't join us, she opted to go shopping instead, she's still there as I type. Tomorrow we are off to the Montery and Carmel area, we'll be staying the night there before heading back to San Francisco, we have one night there and then fly to New York. The weather has been warmer than I expected, today I was in a tee shirt at times. New York is going to be colder but I'm ready for it. Happy New Year to all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



28th December 2010

Update on Cricket
England all out 513. Siddle 6/72 Australia 2nd innings 6 for 169. Watson 51, Smith 38. There are only two days to so a draw is very possible ha ha ha....rain is our best chance.even if we win in Sydney, England retain the ashes as it will be a drawn series...Take Care & Enjoy the rest of the trip.....Dennis.... Manay, enjoy your shopping....Aussie dollar getting stronger....spoke to Loni this morning. Frank is out before Christmas and he will go to St. George for more check up..... I hope you get to airport for New York. Heard in the news theres' a blizzard over there. Looking forward for the next update.....this blog is really good....I think I will join. Pat
28th December 2010

Belated Christmas greetings and a Happy New Year
Hello Glen and Eleanor, and do give a big hug to Rose and family. Glen, I truly do enjoy your travel blogs. I can imagine the grand time you are having with the mostest of all hosts - the Florita's. As to the Philippine counterpart of the family, Sue's family just left for Manila while my side of the clan is still in Bohol, now enjoying the beach at Panglao Island. Kudos to Bohol Bee Farm that has made our trip here truly memorable - to last a lifetime. TAke care and enjoy MOnterey, my favorite part of the USA.

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb