Welcome to California


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Sacramento
October 17th 2007
Published: October 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sandra and I have had an eventful couple days and spent some time in numerous cities.

While flying out to Sacramento we were only supposed to have a 2 hour layover in Chicago. However, we made a spur of the moment decision and took a voluntary bump and spend the night in Chicago. In return we received a free round trip ticket to use at any time with no blackout dates. The airline also put us up at the Hyatt Regency for the night in the executive wing and booked us on a 9am flight out of Chicago the next morning with an estimated arrival time into Sacramento at noon. We didn’t do much in Chicago but sleep, but it was a very comfortable sleep.

The next morning we were off to Sacramento, oh another good thing about the bump was they booked us in an exit row so we had extra leg room, I’m sure Sandra appreciated that more than I. The flight was a little longer than 4 hours long. Has anyone been to Sacramento before? The view from the plane was less enticing than Buffalo, if that is possible. I came out west to find excitement and adventure and we landed in what seemed like a corn field, it was just flat farm land for miles, Sandra thought we made a detour to Saskatchewan.

Our original plan was to spend Sunday in San Francisco, and the delayed flight did not hinder that at all. We picked up our rental car at the Sacramento airport and then drove for an hour and a half to San Fran. The farms turned into mountains and the mountains turned into a city, and then we were there. Thankfully I did not have to drive on any crazy hilly roads to get to the hotel. We spent Sunday night doing various “tourist” things in the city. First we took a Bay cruise and sailed under Golden Gate Bridge and around Alcatraz. That was fun. Then we rode a cable car up Hyde St. (a street at a 90deg. Incline.) We accidentally got off at Union St. instead of Union Square so we walked back a couple blocks and got to see Lombard St. Ya know, the crooked street ever. It was a lot narrower than I expected. It was fun watching cars drive down it, definitely a road I wouldn’t like to drive down. The next morning we woke up early and took a walk across Golden Gate Bridge. We probably only made it half way across, but it was pretty amazing. I didn’t know I could like a bridge so much.

On our way back to Sacramento (Sacramento is north east of San Francisco) we took a detour south to Half Moon Bay. There really wasn’t anything in Half Moon Bay for us to do, but we wanted to drive down the coastal highway for a bit and Half Moon Bay was a good turn around point for us. As the driver I was keeping my eyes on the road most of the time so I didn’t get to appreciate the scenery as much as Sandra did, but I still stole a couple glimpses here and there. It was awesome. I’m not gonna lie though, if you want to see something even more amazing you have to drive down the coast in Cape Town South Africa, that will leave you speechless for days.

We made it back to Sacramento last night. As we were driving back we saw the city skyline and from a distance it is probably 2 buildings bigger than Buffalo. The hotel that we are staying at here is right next to the base. We took a walk over there last night and it calmed our nerves and got us really excited for tomorrow.

We spent the day in Sacramento running errands, doing laundry, and preparing ourselves for our new life.

Tomorrow is the big day. The AMERICORPS day! The day I’ve been waiting for since March. How do I feel? Pretty excited, and prepared for the adventure. I am definitely glad that we choose to come out a couple days early to take our minds off of leaving and get acclimated to California. Other than leaving Buffalo the past couple days have been a blast.



Advertisement



17th October 2007

Those West Coast Girls Are Hip...
In case you youngins don't recognize that lyric, it's from an old Beach Boys song. Seems like you're acclimating to the "left" coast pretty well. Good luck tomorrow, you'll do just fine and I'm lifting you both in prayer. Hope you do good on your PT testing. I know all your hard work over the past months will pay off. Miss ya and love ya. Sacramento makes Buffalo sound pretty nice. Pops
17th October 2007

WOW!
I am as excited as you are. Thank you for all that your write. It is like I am there with you both. You know that you are in my prayers. Linda

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb