Cycling the Monterey Peninsula


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Monterey
September 11th 2014
Saved: May 29th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Notice that the title reads "Cycling", and not "Golfing" the peninsula? Yes, things have changed the last few years. In the past, I always carried my golf clubs down to the Monterey/Carmel area. These days, I can hardly wait to ride the many bicycle trails that trace the beautiful central coast of California.

Among the trails I can take are:

Monterey Bay Coastal Bike Trail, 29 miles long, from Castroville to the Monterey Peninsula, mostly along Highway 1, and Fort Ord Dunes State Park.

Fisherman's Wharf to Lover's Point, is a short, almost beginner's ride, but perhaps its most historic and interesting. It passes Fisherman's Wharf, Cannery Row, the Monterey Aquarium, and Hopkins Marine Station. It is the most popular route, particularly for families, and is separated from vehicle traffic with its own path.

Seventeen Mile Drive is popular for both vehicles and bicycles. The key is to keep the ocean on your right on the way to Lone Cypress, and on your left on the way back. The best time to do the ride is in the early morning when auto traffic is the lightest.

Looks a little dangerous to me.

Hennekens Ranch Loop. Fort Ord National Monument is over 10,000 acres, but only an 8 mile, thigh burning ride with great views of both the Salinas Valley and Toro Park. Deer and other wildlife may also be seen.

Monterey Loop (Salinas Valley, Carmel Valley) is more of an intermediate ride, scenic, and roughly about 100 miles. This ride was selected as the Gran Fondo Ride for the 2010 Sea Otter Classic. They also have a shorter 30 and 45 mile Grand Fondos for guys like me. The Sea Otter Expo is the largest bike expo in North America.

Highway 1 Through Big Sur (Bixby Bridge) is an expert ride, and also said to be the greatest ride in the word, if you do not mind sharing narrow and curvy Highway 1 with large motorhomes. For the expert cyclist, it might be the best ride ever. It was named one of the best road trips in America, and even better done on a bicycle.

Whichever ride you take, it will be rewarding, both in terms of exercise, and the great vistas. After all, this is the Monterey Peninsula, home to the greatest golf course in the world, Pebble Beach Golf Links. The area is also home to some interesting wineries, the quaint village of Carmel, and the beautiful ocean views from almost anywhere along the coast.


Nice trail!



<br id="ecxFontBreak" />This is what I rented when the kids were young. Lots of fun, though rather slow and cumbersome.

I rode from Lover's Point in Pacific Grove along Monterey Bay, past Cannery Row, Fisherman's Wharf, then down through Seaside, and on to Fort Ord. Tomorrow morning, I will ride the Seventeen Mile Drive, unless I sleep in. The best part was dinner in PG at Peppers.

COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.313s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 38; qc: 149; dbt: 0.2017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb