Monterey, Pebble Beach and San Francisco


Advertisement
Published: June 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We spent the night in the Best Western hotel in Monterey. As I mentioned yesterday, the hotel itself isn't great in terms of its decor; however the location is literally right on the beach. So much so that the sand was directly below our room balcony.

After checking out of the hotel, we headed to the Cannery Row and Fisherman's Wharf areas of Monterey.

Cannery Row is the waterfront street in the New Monterey area and has some wonderful shops and restaurants. The name 'Cannery Row' is so called because it used to be the site of a number of (now-defunct) sardine canning factories. The last cannery closed in 1973. Old wooden trolley buses are a feature of Cannery Row and look great trundling up and down the streets (see attached photo). We stopped for lunch at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co restaurant - the one named in the film Forrest Gump. The first restaurant was opened in 1996 on Cannery Row, although other sites have now been opened across America.

Fisherman's Wharf is a wooden pier over the Monterey waterfront with shops, restaurants and boat trips to see the seals, dolphins and whales. Attached are some photos of the seals that swim around the Fisherman's wharf harbour.

After Monterey, we went around the '17-Mile Drive' scenic road through Pacific Grove and Pebble Beach on the Monterey Peninsula. It hugs the Pacific coastline and passes famous golf courses and mansions including the gated community of Pebble Beach. We stopped off at the Pebble Beach golf course - this is where Tiger Woods won the US Open by a 15 shot margin.

We then drove up the pacific coast road to San Francisco and will be staying here for 3 nights.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



8th June 2013
AshOnPebbleBeachGolfCart

Hi Elkins
Good evening U2, I hope your having a great time, nicky I hope you enjoyed both ice creams ha ha the other day, Ash I hope you enjoyed pebble beach, you looked smart did Nicky dress you ha ha, great pictures keep them coming, we are keeping an eye on your trip, great blog, enjoy guys
8th June 2013

The weather looks perfect you both look very relaxed... Great to see. I didn't realise just how many seals seem to reside on the west coast. Will you be clubbing whilst you are there! How are you both finding the driving? Take care

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb