The sweet smell of money


Advertisement
Published: May 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Beautiful beachBeautiful beachBeautiful beach

but the weather was less so
We went to Carmel to smell the money - sweet little town full of art galleries, jewellers, pretty little shops v. up market and boy did it smell sweet, swear they sieved the sand on the beach it was so soft. They had a sculpture exhibition which had a few really good pieces. Arrived at friends who decided we should be eased back to the real world of responsibility. Hence we have a sweet gentle dog, Bear, and a bunch of very adorable cats. Horror of horrors we have to change our own bed linen! They couldn’t stand watching us flail around so have left home for a week. Lucky we have a laptop and can google how to cope when your friends leave town.
Well she says very upmarket, but that’s mainly the prices. Among the ‘art’ there is the Thomas ‘painter of light’ Kincaid gallery, most recently seen on QVC. I really can’t imagine that anyone other than motels and ‘quaint’ guesthouses actually buy this sentimental crap, but apparently he is very popular. The driving here has been really good, when we get on the narrow winding roads the slower moving vehicles actually do use the turnouts provided, so unlike NZ where we could follow the same RV for hours at a time at 20mph. The whole Monterey peninsula thing has been good fun, the beaches are great and it seems to have a pretty agreeable climate, perhaps that’s why so many people who can afford it live there. We also had to go to the local launderette as none of the motels we’ve stayed at has had a guest laundry and things were getting fairly desperate. Good opportunity to see how the locals cope and while we waited walked over to a nearby diner and had an enormous breakfast with the best hash browns I’ve had so far and they even had some green tea for B.
We were saved! our other friends rallied round, I’ve shopped, JB’s smoked, we’ve been wined and dined, Bear has shown us how the house is run, and the cats have talked incessantly!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb