The Steinbeck Tour-Monterey


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Monterey
March 7th 2009
Published: March 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Photo 13Photo 13Photo 13

Cannery Row, Monterey It's not much like Steinbeck's book. No sardine canneries, and Doc and the gang are only in photos.
We arrived in Monterey last night and are happy with our $59 a night hotel. This is a slow time of year for the area and there are good deals to be had in nice places. Our drive up started out slow with bumper to bumper traffic through L.A., but after that it was all wonderful. I loved Santa Barbara, wish we could have spent some time there. Dave, we drove through Goleta but didn't have time to look for Deckers...maybe on the way back.
We were on 101 so we saw lots of agricultural areas and dark fertile soil. The migrant workers were out picking strawberries. The vineyards aren't leafed out, so they weren't the most picturesque places, but it was all interesting to me. We ate dinner last night at a very nice restaurant in Fisherman's Wharf, the Fish Hopper. I had Cajun scallops and shrimp with asparagus and risotto. Gotta have seafood here. Joe had shrimp and beef tenderloin kabob.

This morning we started out at Monterey Aquarium and it measures up to its hype in every way. We were there an hour and then our friends from VA, Frank and Gloria Deckert showed up with their
Photo 14Photo 14Photo 14

Steinbeck's bust...there's a long interesting story as to how this was made. Just glad it's here.
friends. They are all staying at a rented house in Carmel. We all decided there were too many field trip kids at the aquarium and that we would go eat lunch and walk around Cannery Row, then give the aquarium another try. Joe and I shared a crab pizza and the 9 of us had fun walking the streets of Monterey. The plan worked because when we went back for another three hours at the aquarium the kids were back on the buses and the aquarium was peaceful.

Since Joe and I are hooking up with Frank and Gloria later, we left them with their friends (Frank's high school buddies from Fresno) and we paid the $9.50 to drive Pebble Beach Company's 17-Mile Drive on the Monterey Peninsula. It was worth the money to us...what a beautiful drive! I loved looking at all the multi-million dollar homes as much as the ocean and the golf courses. I had never been in a large cypress forest before and found the gnarly trunks and branches beautiful. We watched the sunset, grabbed some fast food and are now in the hotel watching TV.

Sign in men's bathroom at restaurant: "My wife
Photo 16Photo 16Photo 16

Monterey Bay
says I never listen to her... or something like that."
More fun tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Photo 15Photo 15
Photo 15

Cannery Row gang plus Frank and Joe
Photo 11Photo 11
Photo 11

One honkin' big candy store.
Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

Feeding the fish in Monterey Aquarium
Photo 17Photo 17
Photo 17

Jellyfish, Monterey Aquarium
Photo 2Photo 2
Photo 2

Cute little girl in Monterey Aquarium
Photo 3Photo 3
Photo 3

Feeding the Penguins
Photo 4Photo 4
Photo 4

Point Joe...17-Mile Drive, Monterey Peninsula
Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

17-Mile Drive
Photo 6Photo 6
Photo 6

Lone Cypress...Pebble Beach Company's Trademark
Photo 7Photo 7
Photo 7

17-Mile Drive
Photo 8Photo 8
Photo 8

17-Mile Drive, Monterey Peninsula
Photo 9Photo 9
Photo 9

Pebble Beach Golf Course
Photo 10Photo 10
Photo 10

Pebble Beach Golf Course


9th March 2009

This is great- Jim and I took this trip several years ago, and loved it. Jim especially like Pebble Beach and the 17 mile drive, but you guessed that already. I hope you go to Salinas, and drive through that agricultural area- We stayed at The Green Gable Inn, in Pacific Grove, our favorite stop.

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb