Do you know the way to San Jose?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Monterey
July 20th 2008
Published: July 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Leaving San Francisco



No time for breakfast today! We woke and packed in a whirlwind before hiking to Hertz en masse to claim our hire car. And what a car it was! A silver automatic Lincoln Town Car with a steering column shift. Woo! Driving on the wrong side of the road in a foreign city, without directions, in a car as long as the A team lying head to toe, with the same handling characteristics as a giant Chorizo! Good job the SatNav (that we said we didn’t want and hadn’t paid for) worked.

Final thoughts on San Francisco



Well, without knowing what to call it for short (Cisco? San Fran? Not Frisco!) . It would probably have seemed more ‘eclectic’ if the tourism hadn’t taken over. Still, it’s obvious that a lot a ‘free thought’ still pervades: some aging hippies are still caught in their own timewarp, some very odd fashions and a plethora of street-shouters (I’ve no idea if they were homeless or not) that gave the impression of crazed conspiracy theorists ( ‘N and D! Multiply that by FOUR!’). On the physical side, it was colder, more windy and kind of taller than I had anticipated!

Onwards, ever onwards



With all the suitcases packed into the gorge-like boot, we followed the whim of the SatNav and drove for ages on various highways before deciding food was due at a KFC just outside San Jose. Whilst we here here, the little differences struck us: that we could be eating in a KFC just as in the UK, eating the same KFC things as in the UK with the same choice as in the UK, except we could watch a beautiful shimmering green humming bird sipping nectar from the flowers outside. Fantastic.

Refuelled, we hit the road again and hit Monterey about an hour later. We found the hotel easily and were pleasantly surprised by the capacious room, maybe because we still had a little bit of cabin fever from ‘Cisco.


Advertisement



23rd July 2008

A town car!!!!
You know why it's called a Town Car.....yep as you now know It's the size of a small town in England.......I'm sure it's a very comfortable ride, but you really should be about 20 years older before you drive one!!!! Should be fun cruising down highway 1.

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0814s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb