From the Oregon Coast to California Dreaming


Advertisement
Published: May 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday, we took our time and drove slowly along the 101 stopping in most of the towns, Reedsport, North Bend, Bandon, Coquille and Gold Beach. Our plan was to spend one more night in Oregon in the town of Brookings, which is the last one on the coast before you cross over to California. We spent some time on the beach and strolled down the main street of Bandon, which is called the Old Town. We ended our day at the ocean wharf in Gold Beach eating fresh cod for dinner.



Today, we drove the few miles and entered California. Our first adventure was visiting the Jedidiah Smith National Redwood Park. What a place! Travelling through the park is like driving through an obstacle course. The dirt road is narrow, winding and in most places there is not enough room for one car, albeit, two way traffic. But, it is definitely worth a visit.



This area is filled with Redwoods, and other species of evergreens. The Redwoods grow up to 350 feet high and 20 feet in diameter. The pictures do not show the true magnificence of nature’s work of art. We also visited the Tree of Mysteries which is a small area filled with trees that have grown into strange shapes.



The next stop was in Klamath, a very rural town of about 800 people, mostly aboriginal peoples. We had lunch in the only restaurant/bar and it was the best burger we have had so far. Just yards down the road is a tree that you can drive through. We met a couple from Australia and exchanged pictures.



Today is laundry day before we head off to Eureka, California to visit the historic downtown area and then off to Redding California. Why, Redding, I have no idea, but it sounded interesting! On Saturday we head to San Francisco. Til next time........



Yes, I climbed up the tree for one of the pictures. I know it does not look too high but it was. Managed to get up by myself but could not get down! And, so Bill to the rescue. He tells me to just jump on his back and so, I do and the momentum caused by my jumping, propelled him forward and down. Picture this, two older people, one on the back of the other, desperately trying to stop without falling flat on their face!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb