A trip to Marin


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Marin
September 7th 2008
Published: September 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Nor-Cal CoastNor-Cal CoastNor-Cal Coast

The hike along the coast to get to the lake was just as fantastic as the lake itself.
We had heard a rumor about a secluded swimming hole and a German beer garden in the mountains of Marin, and decided to see what all the fuss was about.

Bass lake is a remote lake, at the end of a 2 and a half mile hike along the northern California coast. It is considered to be one of the best swimming holes in the country, and we could see why. The cool, clear, and deep water was very refreshing out hike, and a rope swing off one of the banks kept us busy for quite a while.

After swimming, we decided to check out the Marin county tourist club. This private club opens its doors to the public between 1 and 5pm on weekends, and even though we were a little late, they were nice enough to serve us some authentic German style beers. The beer garden is themed after the style of resorts in the Alps, and was just incredible to come across in the middle of the woods. The mile hike in may deter may would-be visitors, but it made the experience all the more exciting for us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Bass LakeBass Lake
Bass Lake

Nestled in a small valley just off the coast, Bass lake was a fantastically refreshing treat.
The beer gardenThe beer garden
The beer garden

This beer garden was amazingly picturesque, looking just like something out of the Alps.
A rewardA reward
A reward

We nearly missed our chance to try some of the beer-garden's delicious brews, but the gracious bartender let us buy some pitchers after hours.
The coastThe coast
The coast

Although we were tired from all the hiking that day, the drive home was still very beautiful.


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb