Hollywood


Advertisement
Published: July 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The short trip from Las Vegas to LA was ok, other than the 30minute delay at the Greyhound terminal. When we were waiting for our bus to LA there was lot’s of angry people at the station as a bus had just been cancelled! It was mayhem because they were all trying to get different buses and connections! Was so glad that were showed up extra early for this last ride on the Greyhound for this trip. Yippee. It was actually quite funny as there were two kids on the bus sitting opposite us that I spent most of the journey playing colouring in with. I am such a big kid sometimes! It was also nice to get out of the 1040F heat (sorry people you will have to do your own conversion to C).

We arrived at Hollywood and managed to walk the eight blocks to the hostel. Not one of the better ones we have stayed in but the location was great, although very loud and noisy throughout the whole night. I love ear plugs now! The hostel is situated opposite the Kodak Theatre and actually on the famous sunset boulevard so all the stars are on the
Kodak TheatreKodak TheatreKodak Theatre

Me outside
pavements. In the daytime the streets were packed full of people sitting by the stars, visiting the Kodak and the Mann’s Chinese Theatre. There are also loads of street entertainers, people dressed up in customs willing to have their photo taken for a tip and random people trying to sell all kind of things.

We only had two full days to explore this strange place and after sorting out things to post home on the first day, collected so many leaflets and ticket stubs along the way, and Thommo getting his hair cut we only had time to look at the theatres and walk p the street to look at some of the stars. The next day we went on a tour of some of the famous homes of Hollywood. We saw lots of houses, most of which neither of us can remember the significance! The few I do remember were the house used in the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, the fortified home of Tom Cruise, the massive mansion owned by the Spellings and Drew Barrymore’s house (where there was a girl on the balcony that could have been here, or it could have been any other girl
ThommoThommoThommo

Inside the shopping mall
too!). The tour also took us to Rodeo drive and the School were Michael Jackson attended. We also went past the Viper Room, the House of Blues, Whiskey a go go and a few other famous joints were the rich and famous hang out or own.

After the tour was finished and we were walking back through the Kodak Theatre we saw Robin Williams. He was having his photo taken with a small boy and then he walked off in the same direction we were going. He then turned around and gave me a smile as he went past. Thommo wanted to take a photo but felt a bit rude. That evening we dined in Hooters, lovely fish and chips! Think Thommo enjoyed the views too!

To me Hollywood is just another city were so many people are trying to make there way in the world. I am glad that we saw a few things there but to me a famous persons house is just another house, one that is over priced due to its legacy!

If we could have had longer there it would have been great to get out of the city and visit the beaches etc. But our two and a half month tour of the States has come to a close. Overall we enjoyed most parts of it and even the extremely long Greyhound journeys offered us a different insight into the lives of the people that live there. There were a few parts that we missed out on, like going up the Empire Stare building, riding a cable car in San Fran and seeing the Hollywood sign closer than several miles away. The one thing that I would like to go back and do one day is the West Ocean coastal road drive.

On to Fiji, am really looking forwards to this part of the trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

The SimpsonsThe Simpsons
The Simpsons

Jonny this one is for you!
Dick Van DykeDick Van Dyke
Dick Van Dyke

For all those that watched his programs while at Uni!
Hollywood SignHollywood Sign
Hollywood Sign

From afar!
Bob!Bob!
Bob!

Had to been done with at least one star


9th July 2006

Twinkle Twinkle
Trust you to have your pic taken at Bob's star hehe xx

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb