Escape from Alcatraz


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles » Hollywood
January 24th 2008
Published: January 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Clam Chowder!Clam Chowder!Clam Chowder!

Jaime loves these kind of photos. Look out for more in the coming weeks!
Hi All,

We're writing this from Hollywood, California. A very wet Hollywood California. In fact if Japan didn't exist we would have had Universal Studios to ourselves yesterday as the weather was so lousy. Anyway, I digress, this entry is about our stay in San Francisco. WARNING, I might use the word 'amazing' quite a lot.

We had five amazing days in SF. It was our first stay in a hostel, and after having a bit of a tantrum on day ("I can't live like this!") Jaime calmed me down and we had a very nice stay in an excellent location.

On the first full day walked down to the tourists Fisherman's Wharf area and had the local speciality lunch of clam chowder served in a hollowed out loaf of bread. After wandering around the area for a while we went to the Aquarium of the Bay which has an underwater walkway and the chance to touch some of the exhibits. Jaime stroked a shark.

The highlights of the next day were shopping around the Union Square area (see pictures) and in the evening, the night tour of Alcatraz. The night tour was great because there is only one boatful of visitors meaning that when you wander round, it can feel like you've got the place to yourselves. If you've not been and you visit here, it's a must.

The next day we hired bikes and cycled over the Golden Gate Bridge. Amazing. After cycling over and getting lost on the way to a nearby town (a kindly Irish guy put our bikes in the back of his truck and gave us a lift back to the freeway) we got the ferry back to the wharf. We also got the famous SF tram home.

On our last full day, a public holiday (not in our honour, it was Martin Luthor King Day), we went to an NBA basketball game in Oakland. A great experience but the game lacked a bit of drama: everytime it looked like something exciting would happen, the game stopped, and it was time for 'Razamatazz'; dancers, artists, tall men on tiny tricycles etc etc. We also had great hotdogs and the weirdest tasting beer ever. Imagine a cross between a pint of bitter and a pint of Night Nurse.

After the game it was back into the City to eat
Alcatraz Night TourAlcatraz Night TourAlcatraz Night Tour

The cover for Martin's first rap album was nearly complete.
at a Garlic restaurant we'd seen on our first night. We both love garlic and we weren't disappointed.

Well we're nearly done in LA now so the next update will come either from Auckland, or our first proper stop in New Zealand, Napier. More photos from SF below.

Hope all is well at work and in life generally, and we'll be in touch.

Martin & Jaime



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

About to Cycle Over Golden GateAbout to Cycle Over Golden Gate
About to Cycle Over Golden Gate

There was no way the fashion police could catch her
On Golden Gate BridgeOn Golden Gate Bridge
On Golden Gate Bridge

Martin's first 'thumbs up'photo published.
Watching the BasketballWatching the Basketball
Watching the Basketball

Golden State Warriors V Minnesota Timberwolves. Warriors lost for the first time in five games. Missed a shot on the final buzzer that would have won it.
Here we go again...Here we go again...
Here we go again...

Its Jaime in Garlic heaven. We had over 50 cloves between us at the garlic restaurant. They evacuated our hotel after we returned.


25th January 2008

Having a ball
Aren't you just. Keep the foodie pics coming. I'm drooling when not laughing. Brian

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb