Leaving LA, Apparent Security Breach & The Earthquake


Advertisement
Published: April 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well the time to say goodbye to lala land and head to Desert country and Las Vegas. There's not much we can do until our transfer to the airport arrives, so we lunch in the hotel bar (I have a Tuna Melt - it was gross and Lynette has a cheeseburger and eats it with knife and fork - she's weird). Transfer arrives and we get to LAX in no time. Our African driver wants know if we have Holden's in Australia. I tell him yes and explain the big debate between Holden's & Fords - he can't get over we still have them.

We are dropped off and check-in and are surprised (okay maybe not that surprised) that our bags have gained 5kgs in three days. it's not looking good for being under excess baggage by the time we leave!

We have been saying since departing AUS that security hasn't been a problem. Well didn't we speak too soon. The States go waaayyy over the top, and while I certainly unnderstand the need for it after 9/11 it still was disturbing to go through it.

Lynette goes through the metal dector and it bleeps all over the place. They pull her aside and as I am with her I am apparently an accessory to a terrorist attack. So we are padded down, frisked, felt up and asked nto take our shoes off. Apparently bombs can be kept in shoes. as if I'd wreck a perfectly good pair of shoes for such things!!

Lynette is then drugged tested and her bottle of moisturiser is taken off her. There were no smiles, there was yelling by staff to everyone to "read those signs and pay attention." While we are laughing about it now, they did make us feel like we did something wrong - it left us giddy.

As soon as we take a seat in the departure louge, I feel a sense of disorentation and unbalanced. We rock from side to side and I look at Lynette and say "do you feel that?" Not for one minute do we think that it's an earthquake. Lynette thinks the movement was from the lady sitting down from us shifting in her seat and I assume it's the force of 673 planes taking off at any given moment at LAX. About 10 minutes later, after laughing about it, my
M&M WorldM&M WorldM&M World

Every colour and then some....I bought $20 worth!
mobile rings and it's mum...."are you girls okay? There's been an earthquake in LA." My draws drops to the floor and I first tell Lynette (who just about heads over to Qantas to get the first flight home) and then wonder how the hell she found out about before we did!

We seriously can't believe it and think our mobiles will start going beserk with concerned friends calling to check on our wellbeing. WE GOT NONE. YOU ARE ALL DIVORCED!!! PML.

Anyway we vacate LA get to Vegas and from the moment we touchdown, we are in love with the place. We jump into a transfer and to our hotel. We are gobsmacked at the sheer size (everything here is huge). We are on the 30th floor of the Monte Carlo and it has 3000+ rooms. We literally dump our bags and head straight out to The Strip. There are no words - it's just amazing.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb