Found the Californian sun


Advertisement
Published: June 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Had some great riding along the pacific coast, looking much like the photographs. The infamous mist would come and go along with dramatic temperature changes, before returning to the bright blue skies again, although keeping a brisk breeze, perfect in the sun.

Crossed back into California.

Found a campsite in the Redwood National park, but balked at being charged $35 for the night, but paid up in a gripey manner that we brits do so well (or is that just us?) Drove and then went on a short walk through a part of the forest, these trees really do need to be seen, they are astounding, and we managed to pick a time when there was no one else about, late on a sunny afternoon when the light was beginning to fade and a real peace descends, quite magical. Its like being in the land of the giants!

Packed up and left the next morning, back into town. Jim's bike was losing its gear change lever. We found a garage who let him help himself to a washer and a circlip, which seemed to do the job. Am hoping that's it for a while, and it will now start behaving itself!

Rode through more of the redwoods and kept going inland. It kept on getting hotter and hotter (which theoretically was what we wanted). At one point I stopped by the river and dunked my t shirt in before putting it back on and riding off, refreshing for a while, but it dried in minutes.

We had a bit of trouble finding a campsite, but finally located one just outside of Junction City. Apart from the 'host', a partially deaf, chatty 81 year old, who was lovely, we were the only ones there.

Packed up and left there this morning. The forecast for the town we were en route to was for 112 degrees Fahrenheit (44.4 degrees Celsius) - I should be more careful what I wish for! I don't know if it made that, but it was blinking hot, like driving with a hot hairdryer in your face. We stopped for a shaved ice drink (grape for me, that lovely bright purple synthetic stuff), and had a look around a fascinating little museum in Shasta, California, originally a gold mining town, before heading off to Lassen Volcanic National park.

A wonderful ride through the park and up the 10000 foot mountain where we sat in the snow and cooled off! It was still very warm up there, a strange combination, but this country seems to be made up of extremes.

We've now found a place for the night (felt in need of a shower after getting so hot) which is run by a lovely couple, just outside Greenville. We've got our own little kitchen here, and actually did some washing up in a sink, very novel. The owner ran us to the local store for supplies, we've really been looked after so well, pretty well every where we've been. Jim was able to pick up a pack of beers, which kept him happy, but he's now fallen fast asleep while I'm writing this! Probably time for me too!

Advertisement



9th June 2013

Helloooo
Hey guys! We\'ve just been catching up on your blog from Rome. As always, everything sounds amazing. So glad you\'re having a great time! The pictures look awesome, they made us both very jealous, can\'t wait to do our own bit of travelling very soon! Have you found any less sloppy food yet? How are you finding the bikes, I take it you\'ve got used to them now? As for stuff this end, Didi and I are in Rome til Wednesday then headed back to Bath til graduation (very excited to see you soon!). I might have found a job for summer (only on a voluntary basis though, which sucks, but it\'s all god experience). I find out what grade I got on the 20th and Didi on the 17th, so we\'ll let you know about that. Not much else to say really, I guess we\'ll catch up again properly in few weeks! Keep up with the blog, it\'s really fun to read. Lots of love, Joe and Didi
9th June 2013

Lovely to hear from you guys, hope Rome is good. We will await with bated breathe for the news of grades, though we will be almost at the end of our travels by the time they come through. We are off the road for a while, but will update the blog with details. We,re both fine, but the bike isn,t, in need of the repair that we previously put off...ho hum. Just a short catch up, but I shouldn,t be here, I should be helping with breakfast! Have a safe journey back, and good to hear you have some work {albeit volunteer stuff]. Lots of love to you bothxxx
9th June 2013

Wow!
I've had a busy week and hadn't checked the blog at all. Just caught up with all your travels now and it's safe to say, jealousy is at an all time high. The photos are stunning and it all just sounds wonderful. I really laughed at your glasses being run over and love that, even on a trip of a lifetime, having a pair of glasses is still a issue! Miss u both heaps. Keep on trecking x x x
11th June 2013

Good to hear comments on the blog, glad you've caught up. Things are a little weird at the mo, but good. I'm enjoying using my $1 glasses!
10th June 2013

'Life'
Sounds fantastic Jif...I am enjoying all the stories and pics. To access the photo's people just go to top of first page and as Jif mentioned click on 'next entry' and work your way through! Yes, you do have to start at the beginning each time but just click on 'til you reach the page you're after.
11th June 2013

Thank you for adding that, hopefully it will help others to work their way through.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb