CA-AZ Trip, Day 3, Joshua Tree NP & Lk. Pleasant RP


Advertisement
Published: September 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Photos from this day at Joshua Tree & Lake Pleasant

We saw no reason to get up too early on this day because we didn't want to get to Phoenix too early and didn't expect to reach Tucson until well after dark. After the complimentary breakfast at the hotel we finally made it to the park. The plan was if anyone saw something to shoot they would flash headlights and pull over. After driving almost 5 full minutes in the park and after we passed by several spots that I thought we could shoot, the Edge finally pulled over. Jakub said, "Hope you don't mind. I'll be quick" as he pointed his lens at a posing Joshua tree. He saw that I was already rushing into the scene winking a What-took-you-so-long look in his direction. After a few more stops because we didn't really want to leave, we finally got in line for our delay and guide-truck tour down the Pinto Basin. I gathered a few sky shots for future use as we slowly made our way to the Lost Palms Oasis. It wasn't until well after noon when we merged onto I-10 heading toward Phoenix.

Yvonne had called ahead and spoke to one of the volunteers at Lake Pleasant Regional Park and was assured the wildflowers were blooming EVERYWHERE. After a pleasant ride along the interstate followed by a beautiful stretch of US60 we arrived at our destination. We started in the visitors’ center and met volunteers who were quite enthusiastic about the beauty of the park. Yvonne recognized one of the voices as the one with whom she spoke earlier. After looking EVERYWHERE, we all realized that Yvonne’s earlier question was asked of one who lives in the desert and is used to seeing mostly brown on the sides of the roads. Jakub suggested we head north and walk (what was it?) the Pipeline Trail, and we all fell in line behind him. Whatever the spot was called there was a lookout point where we could see a portion of Lake Pleasant. On the other side of the parking lot was the trailhead and we started descending to an unknown bottom, stopping along the way to shoot what we saw. Before long our womenfolk had enough of the heat and told us they would meet us at the marina restaurant. I peeled my dry tongue from the roof of my mouth and said goodbye, but couldn't help thinking they may have the better plan. Seeing that Jakub was engrossed (photos 35 & 36) I decided to stay and hope for the best. Soon I abandoned the decent and headed back for a few shots toward the water while I figured out where to setup for sunset. At first it was just me, and a few donkeys who were nibbling leaves, but soon a pleasant guy appeared to say he was there to witness the setting sun and rising moon. By the time Jakub caught up to us, this local lad with a love of landscape was telling us of two good spots to worship and record the colors. We thanked him, headed back to the car and drove to the closest one. After several minutes of scrambling over this hill to catch the fleeting sunset and moon rising we ran out of light and headed back to find the restaurant.

We were more than a little concerned when we pulled up to the hill overlooking the marina and found a locked gate. A quick phone call confirmed that our ladies were still on the other side. While waiting for Jakub's suggestion I mulled over some options in my head: A) Leave one car here and return tomorrow after the morning shoot. B) Leave the girls here and they could catch up with us tomorrow after the gate is opened. C) Camp here for the night and... Just then Barb & Yvonne drove up and the gate opened automatically. Well, we still had a few hours to Tucson and no one was suggesting we stop to eat, so we ate whatever we could find in the car on the way. Jakub & Yvonne booked a fancy resort uptown and Barb & I were expected at the main-drag Best Western so we left the highway at different exits and loosely planned on meeting in the morning. Our exit was #252 and that was also our room number, and the number came up a few other times throughout the trip, like on our return trip to Palm Springs when Barb asked how far and the GPS read 252 miles.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.1138s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb