Hugging Trees Along the Redwood Coast


Advertisement
Published: August 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Avenue of the Giants


July 20th - 22nd

Before reading, we ask you to consider the height of the following:

The Egyptian Sphinx: 66 feet
Sistine Chapel: 67 feet
The Roman Colosseum: 144 feet
The Leaning Tower of Pisa: 183 feet
Tall Tree of Humboldt State Park: 350 feet (that's just 100 feet shy of Kuhfu's great pyramid)

In two days we lost ourselves in the lush forest floors of northern California beneath the dizzying treetops that spread out into a jeweled yellow and green cathedral canopy. Our usual quotes are below, but we left this one brief as it's difficult to express the unearthly magnificence of these giants ... (disclaimer, if you had a moment of reverence, it's about to be over).


Texas Red: "I'll be fine. I've got a sleeping bag, a compass and my pants are hot."

Jenny Karankawa: "What's with all the hobo references?" Five minutes later ... JK announces she gets it as she notices she's standing by the can fire in a men's dress shirt drinking out of a bottle of wine. The air is thin out there, you know.

Generalissimo: "What? Do I look crazy just because I'm drinking wine from a bowl, you bottle drinker ... I'm not insane, people! I just want to drive through a tree ... I think I have 'trip tourettes': sudden outbursts of happiness."







Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Din-din, July 20 - HumboldtDin-din, July 20 - Humboldt
Din-din, July 20 - Humboldt

Generalissimo cooks up some grub filling in for Juan Rambo.
Wine-wineWine-wine
Wine-wine

We purchased some Redwoods wine for 5 dollars ... and drank it out of bowls ... except for JK. She took the bottle.
More wine-wineMore wine-wine
More wine-wine

Texas Red and Generalissimo toast to our first night in a red wood forest.
Obscene wine-wineObscene wine-wine
Obscene wine-wine

JK, always the gourmet.
Camping can be hardCamping can be hard
Camping can be hard

Ah, the traveling fun of living out of a car for 24 days. This is Bea--for Beatrice (the car) ... and that would be Karankawa forever searching for something.
Album Cover-RNFAlbum Cover-RNF
Album Cover-RNF

Generalissimo practices shooting album cover art of Texas Red and J Karankawa.
Banana Slug! RNFBanana Slug! RNF
Banana Slug! RNF

These guys love the red woods!
Jedediah Smith Redwood State ParkJedediah Smith Redwood State Park
Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park

There are several large redwood parks along the coast (101) - we camped in Humboldt and took a brief hike in the National Redwoods Park, but only had time to drive by JSR which would def. be worth a full visit if we ever get the chance again.


1st August 2009

Mossy radness
Those shots of the redwood textures are awesome!
2nd August 2009

Wow.
Just catching up with the bloggy after many days of moving. Wow. Wowwy wow wow wow. You guys are never coming back are you? I knew it. Sigh...
7th August 2009

i've licked a banana slug.
7th August 2009

licking banana slugs
and...? Did it taste like bananas?

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb