4/3/2012 - Lone Pine, CA to Death Valley


Advertisement
Published: April 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we head out to Death Valley for an all day trip. Upon arrival at Death Valley we witnessed a little girl taking the Junior Ranger oath.

Ate lunch at Scotty's Castle (Death Valley Scotty) then took the Underground and House tours. The history of this castle is a very interesting story of a con man and a man of wealth who became fast friends. The castle is unfinished due to the depression and a land dispute, but is probably 80% complete with all the furnishings, pictures, technology, and such. It served as a summer home for the true owner and a "claimed" home for the conman, Scotty. This castle is really amazing with it's own electricity, water, solar heat, modern plumbing, modern refrigerator, walking freezers, and such. Any history you could read would be worth the read.

Stopped by the Ubehebe Crater for a look. This is a volcanic crater that is 1/2 mile wide and 600 ft deep.

We then drove to the other end of Death Valley to Badwater Basin. This basin is 282 ft below sea level and is the lowest dry point in the US. Walked the salt flat.

This was and all day outing, so when we got back to Lone pine we ate at the Totem Cafe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 124, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb