Camping in the Desert


Advertisement
Published: February 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

About two weeks in we thought we were about ready to try camping- In the the middle of Death Valley NP.

Finding out too late to do anything else, we began to pitch the tent, only to realise that the pegs wouldn't go into the ground. In the end, we had to anchor the tent down with rocks and ourselves (on what turned out to be a single air mattress!), to stop us blowing away. It was an interesting nights sleep.

We got up at 5.30am to watch the sun rise, and struck camp in the dark. However the moon was so strong (it even cast shadows) that we had the tent down (and yes, in the bag first time round- amazing!) within 15 mins.

We headed to Badwater, the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere at 85.5m below sea level to watch the sun rise over the salt flats. It was an amazing experience. Within the space of a few minutes the sun had flooded the valley and the temperature risen significantly.

Death valley is an amazing, surreal place, like nowhere else. We stopped at some viewpoints- each one different, and headed out of the park towards Vegas (which by the way sucks after being in such a unique wilderness, immersed in such natural beauty- don't do it). We left there in the morning to find some more remote (and prettier) spots.

Today we visited the Hoover Dam, and then drove around the west and northern edges of Lake Mead and the surrounding recreation area. We drove for miles seeing nothing but rocks and sand mounds- very orange and red- striking against the sparkling blue water.

We are off to Zion tomorrow- staying in St George tonight at a great motel. Our room has a kitchenette so we ate a proper meal for once (cooked by me!), and we had a chance to relax in the pool and spa.

And for anyone who is intersted, by bum is slowly improving, but i'm still sitting on my 'donut' everywhere!

Love to all x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020.3kb