Days 13 & 14 - There But For the Grace of God


Advertisement
Published: June 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Gas PumpThe Gas PumpThe Gas Pump

Looks like a normal gas pump, right? But what's that sticker on the nozzle housing?
The first part was pretty fun. We were still up in the mountains/hills west of Flagstaff and started to come down. That made for some fun driving, aka truck dodging. Now, I understand that they’re trying to save on gas by getting everything out of a downhill they can. It’s still damn scary when you’re driving along and a semi comes racing up on your rear and you can’t get over because of the traffic! I was wishing for flatter ground every time that happened.

Be careful what you wish for.

We dropped out of the hills right into desert, with mountains off in the distance. It got really boring, really fast. I think the 7 mile long construction zone, where we were going 45mph through very repetitive terrain, was the height of boredom on this trip. Holy crap, it sucked. The one part that was fun was when we gassed up in Needles. The gas pump had a sticker warning of the hazardous effects of gas on the environment. Really? I didn’t know that! Thank you, California, for warning me of such a travesty.

Once out of the desert, we stopped at n In-N-Out Burger for lunch.
The StickerThe StickerThe Sticker

California's important warning. They spent money making these and putting them on!!!
Can I just say that this place has the best burgers??? Their fries could use some improvement, but overall it was awesome to get this west coast treat.

We pulled into my great-aunt Lucy’s house around 3pm, and my hell began. I really don’t want to talk about it. I’ll just say this: it sucks when someone’s version of kidding around is to be mean to you. It sucks when their opinion is that they can do this because you’re family. It sucks when every other word out of their mouth is hateful, either towards you or towards close-minded stereotypes.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb