Heading to 'where the big engines roar'....


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Carlsbad
September 29th 2012
Published: September 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Little girls all love cupcakes...Little girls all love cupcakes...Little girls all love cupcakes...

...Sandy and Caitlin have seen the series on the founders of this chain on FoodTV and it was a must visit...
...if you got the title...'your old'. The 'hit' song 'LA International Airport' was first recorded in 1970 and shame on us, it actually went to No.1 in New Zealand.

But first, woke up in Vancouver on Thursday to another beautiful BC day. Packed up and checked out and stored our bags downstairs at Time Squares Apartments and ordered a taxi for 12.45 for the trip to the airport. As to Times Squares Apartments, with the exception of the noisey air conditioning unit it was centrally located and very comfortable in a fairly active part of town a mere two blocks from Stanley Park. The staff are very friendly, but who isnt in Canada it seems, and very helpful. Located on Robson Street, this is very much an artery into the central city and easy to access.

Took a last walk around central Vancouver for a few hours and then returned to Times Square Apartments to meet our taxi. Taxi was on time and our driver was a very loud and very talkative Middle Eastern gentlemen. Not that he was talking to us, just a continuos series of cell phone calls the entire way to the airport. Regardless, still a
The range...The range...The range...

...a sample of their fare...
pleasant drive and a chance to see a little more of the area around Vancouver.

Checked in at Vancouver airport which necessitated a quick minor repack moving 3 kilograms from one pack (26 kgs) to another (only 15 kgs) and went through the rigmarole of Customs. A little aggravating as because we were going into the US the Canadians have to buy into their security pre-requisites. Took a little umbrage as they kept swabbing Caitlins day pack and ion scanning it, and then reswabbing it...finally worked out that perhaps their machine was playing up. Usual nonsense of shoes off, one shoe bomber leads to all this, thankfully he was apprehended but its worth wondering who won that battle regardless. Then Sandy got 'lucky' and was selected for the random full body scan or body pat down. She elected the scan and was perfectly fine with it. I was pissed and it was just even more annoying that the guy was so reasonable about it. Sandy told me to pull my head in - so I did.

Got to the gate and went to board and confirmed that we had seats for all 4 of us. Unfortunately, for the
'Frost-bite''Frost-bite''Frost-bite'

...a GMC something or other. Once you get used to the size of the thing then its great to drive...
first time ever, we had not checked at check in, and now found that our four seats were all in different rows in different sections of the plane. The air hostess was helpful and after moving a few people around Caitlin and I sat together and Reuben and Sandy sat together. All good and the flight was very pleasant. Stunning views out over Vancouver and the area around it as we flew out.

Flight was only 2hours and 50 minutes and we landed at LAX at 6:18pm. Good thing about the protocols at Vancouver was that it included the landing procedures and immigration matters for the US also, so on arrival just grabbed our bags and straight out to the courtesy shuttle to Alamo Rentals and before 7pm we were loading up our GMC something or other and hit the road heading south for San Diego.

A quick word about the GMC something or other, after Vancouver and our adventures in Sherman, the kids immediately wanted to name this slightly smaller 'tank'. They quickly came up with 'Frostbite' because it was white and so cool. Lucky for us it does seat 8 so we are sidelining as a
Little girls eyes light up...Little girls eyes light up...Little girls eyes light up...

...and so do the shoes. Caitlin in counting the compliments she is getting on these boots. She is up to 9 in two days...
fly by the night taxi to pay for gas for this beast.

Slightly daunting easing out, and ease I did, into very heavy LA freeway traffic...on the wrong side of the road for home and in a vehicle that seemed to take up at least all of one lane and most of both on either side - it didn't of course. In the end figured those sharing the road with us would take cognisance of our size advantage and if worst came to worst and we ended up playing dodgems then we had all the advantages. Besides traffic was crawling along. Really good news when you've got a 2 hour drive ahead and its getting late in the evening. Traffic cleared after 20 miles or so and a short time later we were trucking along nicely.

Got to Carlsbad Seapoint Resort a little after 9.30pm and checked in. Looks very comfortable. We are in a one bedroom apartment, all the 2 bedrooms were booked, and so kids are sleeping on a rollaway bed and a fold out sofa in the lounge. I ducked out to find dinner, kids ate about 10.30 and in bed asleep soon after. Not
A family favourite...A family favourite...A family favourite...

...bought heaps here last time we were here...same this time around...prices on some things just ridiculous...
ideal but these things happen.

Friday morning and Sandy so happy! We're off to the Carlsbad Premium Outlet Mall. After our experience here early last year we were all pretty happy to be back. GAP got a big 'good to be back' visit and then we all did some general recon on whatever else was there.

Kids picked lunch place, Rubys, a 50's style diner. Sandy and I went in with low expectations and a sense of being in a rerun of Happy Days and admonished ourselves for our humbug attitude when the place turned out to have an entertaining decor, great service, surprisingly good meals and all at a reasonable price. Both Reuben and Caitlin really enjoyed it...particularly the Oreos Chocolate Chip milkshakes (we made sure they only got small ones - but they were well and truly big enough).

Caitlin had seen a pair of very cool little girl Skechers boots in Vancouver and Sandy had told her we would see if we could find them in the outlets shops in San Diego. As soon as we arrived at those same outlets shops in San Diego (okay Carlsbad) Caitlin found Skechers, and then immediately after
Lunch at Rubys...Lunch at Rubys...Lunch at Rubys...

...situated in the Carlsbad Outlet Mall, kids choice for lunch. 1950's style diner, decor and staff uniform. Food was surprisingly good and surprisingly huge...
found those very same special boots. The photograph shows the boots. What it doesn't show is that the sequins over the toe covers light up and flash when the boots move. True disco boots. About as subtle as a tom cat in an aviary. Purchase made, one unbelievably happy 8 year old girl.

Once finished, but only for the day, at the outlet mall it was a quick trip to Ralphs Supermarket, amazing range of fruit and produce and other little surprises for the kids, where we stocked up on some groceries. Halloween in full swing and for we displaced Aotearoan's a very novel scene to view. Everything is available in pumpkin, witch and ghost design. Saw a couple stressing out over which type of trick or treat candy they should be getting. Huge bags of stuff especially prepared to make dealing with those trick or treat visitors that much easier. Think some of these people need some real problems to deal with.

Then back to the apartment where we found a two bedroom was now available so we took it. Kids now have their own room and bathroom and we get to use the living room and
Ralph's fruit and produce...Ralph's fruit and produce...Ralph's fruit and produce...

...Sandy loves the fresh fruit here, especially the berries and stone fruit...Caitlin helping out, just not sure how.
kitchen without kids sleeping in them. Really well set up, really well, very, very comfortable.

Once the move to the new apartment was made, it was into the pool for the whole family as the day was very warm. Great pool, there are two here, one for the families complete with a kids water playground and one for grown ups. There is also a full outdoor beach volleyball court, a half court basketball court and a tennis court as well as some other bits and pieces.

Once out of the pool and dressed, crossed the road to the beach and watched the sunset while the kids played in the incoming tide. Quiet day after a travel day. A good day none the less. Both the young'uns shattered after a late night, lots of swimming sunshine and fresh sea air. Went out like lights....


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Goblin Gobbling...Goblin Gobbling...
Goblin Gobbling...

...halloween in full swing at this time. Its everywhere, including the bakery section in the supermarket...
Girls on the beach...Girls on the beach...
Girls on the beach...

...girls talk as we watch the sunset...
Not a bad scene to end the day...Not a bad scene to end the day...
Not a bad scene to end the day...

...on the beach at sunset at Pelican Point, immediately opposite the Carlsbad Seapointe Resort...home away from home for a few days...
Sunset run...Sunset run...
Sunset run...

...just like the picture, nothing special about it!


30th September 2012

Ralphs
I remember that supermarket!!! And the cookies - they are yum - we had 4 July ones !!!! Love the boots!! Noted that is basically every photo Reuben has the same shirt on!!!!! Makes me excited about our trip reading this!!!
30th September 2012

Love the boots Caitlin!!!!
1st October 2012

Digging the footwear...
I love the shoes too! Wish they made big girl ones...

Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0912s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb