To Hell and back


Advertisement
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 33.2558, -116.374

To Hell and back...

Well, to Hellhole Canyon and back, anyway. Another day another trek for our intrepid trio. This time we tackled a more ambitious trail. Hellhole Canyon is a 6-mile round-trip hike. Very little shade and "the last mile requires scrambling over boulders and pushing through brush". How could we refuse such a challenge?! Quite easily actually but Antony was keen. At the start of the trail are several graves with the encouraging sign “They didn't bring enough water”! Warning duly noted we set off. We were lucky that there was a bit of cloud but even so it got pretty hot as we climbed about 900 feet up the canyon. As advertised there was a considerable amount of boulder-scrambling and at one point a very tight space to squeeze through. Only one member of the trio managed this (guess who?), the other, shall we say better-upholstered hikers, had to go the long way round over the top! Correction, Alan insists that should be “more muscular” hikers... After 2 hours we stopped for our picnic and then, encouraged/shamed by two “seniors” with walking poles we pushed on up to the waterfall. Another 2-hour to schlep back down again by which time it was seriously hot. We felt like extras from the “High Chaparral” (that's a reference for our older readers).

Rest of the afternoon spent in the pool/Jacuzzi at the motel (OK, so were not exactly like High Chaparral”😉 then time for dinner. Those of you who have been following closely will realise that this was dinner no.3 so that means it was off to Borrego Springs third and final eatery “Carlee's”. As we opened the door we thought we'd stumbled onto the set of “Cheers”! The “joint was buzzing” so we had to sit at the bar – à la Cliff and Norm. –felt very macho. Wednesday was “steak night” and very good they were too.

That was the end of our stay in the desert, communing with nature, pitting ourselves against the elements and rediscovering our pioneer roots. Sorry getting a bit carried away there. Next stop Palm Springs which will be very gay and very fabulous...


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Dinner at Carlee's - Supersize me !Dinner at Carlee's - Supersize me !
Dinner at Carlee's - Supersize me !

And that was just the starter!


29th March 2013

Hope u r sharing that food?! Xx
29th March 2013

So what came after this?!
30th March 2013

We then had steaks and fries - really good and Antony had a burger which was alos very good. Actually, Hamsih and Alan had a bowl of soup, as well. The nacho was for sharing...

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb