Our Winter 2010-11 Trip Entry 3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Borrego Springs
November 14th 2011
Published: November 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mon. Nov. 14, 2011


Today was a long day and drive, headed to Anza Borrego State Park Campground. First stop was at the Phoenix Flying J for gas and propane. What a Zoo !! The place was packed. We waited in line and were able to get gas but could not get propane (in the wrong lane), so we headed west on I-10. Next stop was the Flying J in Ehrenberg to fillup and get the Propane we were not able to get in Phoenix, but the guy came out and said sorry but he couldn’t do motorhomes, only bottles. If we wanted to wait, the person that could do motorhomes would be in at 4:30. I said no thanks that is 2 1/2 hours from now. Filled up with gas since it was a lot cheaper than it was going to be in CA. Once again headed west on I-10. Took Box canyon road to Mecca and stopped at the Exxon station where we were finally able to get propane. Back on the road but now it would be after dark by the time we got to the campground. At the turn to Borrego Springs I decided to fil the motorhome and VW with gas again since I knew the gas in Borrego Springs was going to be over $4.00 and it was $3.74 here. Arrived at the Anza Borrego campground about 5:30 and got ourselves set up and leveled (you’d think they could make a concrete pad level, wouldn’t you?). Dinner was leftovers from our Olive Garden dinner. Very quiet here, Wendy even said that it was so quiet it made her ears hurt !

Tuesday, November 15, 2011



Kind of a lazy day. Didn’t do much anything until after lunch. Hopped in the VW to do do a close geocache. There was one about a half-mile away (as the crow flies) at an old 1940s-50s desert "resort," supposed to have burned down in the 1950s. We had always wondered what the building shells we could see were and now we discovered them. Looked like they were just bungalows, nothing fancy, but still some nice tile work left. No luck finding the geocache so we headed home the "scenic" route. Accidently happened on the latest Galleta Meadows sculpture. This is is fantastic....a sea serpent, swimming through the desert, even diving under the road. Stopped for a bunch of pictures with the iphone (left the camera at home) them stopped for another geocache at another of the metal art pieces (gompotherme)....found this one ! Relaxed on the lanai them fixed more leftover (Famous Dave’s this time) for dinner. Beautful desert evening.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb