Savoring the Sierras


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Blairsden
July 19th 2008
Published: July 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

While forestry work has its own joys, one obliged to labor in the Sierras begins to wonder what this summer playground has to offer: What is the view like from that peak? What is that blue spot on the map really like up close? Come alongside Peppy as he explores some of the incredible features offered by the Sierras: fresh streams, pristine lakes, and resplendent panoramas await!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Frazer FallsFrazer Falls
Frazer Falls

One of the waterfalls around the area. This one was around 200 feet tall
Gold LakeGold Lake
Gold Lake

There is a whole slew of fresh mountain lakes visit within a short drive. This one has islands in the middle- they seem close until you try to swim to them! Whew! Notice the momma merganser in the foreground with her merganser-lings close behind.
L Surveying a StreamL Surveying a Stream
L Surveying a Stream

This stream was cool, clear, and full of mayflies and fish! Too bad we don't have California fishing licenses...
Starting OutStarting Out
Starting Out

We found ourselves getting the hiking itch, so we found the highest point around, and set out to scale Sierra Peaks.
Mountain Men... er, BearsMountain Men... er, Bears
Mountain Men... er, Bears

Jordan (the scruffy one) and I pose on a saddle, where our trail intersected the Pacific Crest Trail, which runs about 2500 miles from Canada to Mexico!
The Hikers PoseThe Hikers Pose
The Hikers Pose

I took the photo :)
L and JL and J
L and J

Just one of the many spectacular views on the hike. Almost there!
The LookoutThe Lookout
The Lookout

8587' in elevation, this lookout in the highest point in the area. Yes, those stairs are about as pleasant as they look.
Reaching the GoalReaching the Goal
Reaching the Goal

These treacherous stairs (100% slope, we discovered with our forestry instruments) led to Sierra Buttes Lookout, our final destination.
View from the LookoutView from the Lookout
View from the Lookout

The view was magnificent! I borrowed this photo because the air was a little smokier, visibility lower, during our visit.
The TopThe Top
The Top

Look closely, and the GPS agrees- we are up there!
Coming DownComing Down
Coming Down

About as fun as going up.
Home, Sweet HomeHome, Sweet Home
Home, Sweet Home

Here, I'm saying goodbye to our beloved deck and garden, because, having completed our work in Blairsden, we're moving on! I hope Greenville will offer as much recreation!
But First, One More StopBut First, One More Stop
But First, One More Stop

For now, it's off to Paisley, Oregon for a week. Jordan's studying hard and I'll be taking the tour of this quirky little town. Stay tuned!


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb