Overnight in Bishop


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Bishop
October 14th 2019
Published: November 5th 2019
Edit Blog Post

When we were in the Sierra’s we decided that 2 friends, Dolly Hei and Kim Bergman, should join us in that area after we finished in Oregon. We’d planned to go home, pick up our friends and go to the Sierra’s as the trees would likely be changing and we were sure that it would be nice for them to experience one of our favorite places.

As it turned out, one friend, Dolly, couldn’t make it but Kim could. Kim and I decided that she would drive north from her house and Dale and I would drive south from Oregon, meeting up in Bishop. Kim bought her own little trailer a couple of years ago so it was fun to meet up and camp with someone we know. This is something we never get to do as we do not know anyone else who camps like we do.

Our son had called while we were driving from Oregon City and the 3 of us decided that it would be easier for his 2 kids to be with us rather than with him while he worked. He would be heading north on Hwy 395 and we would be heading south, making it easy to meet up somewhere north of Reno. We found a parking lot at the firehouse in metropolitan Likely! Hopefully, you can locate this city on Google Maps. Nate could not miss us.

On Monday morning we got up fairly early as we had a long drive to Bishop. We planned to meet Kim close to 2pm, in time to eat lunch. It was another 7-hour drive for us.

We met Kim at the Visitor’s Center parking lot, there is RV parking behind the center, and the parking is within walking distance to Schat’s and the Holy Smoke. Our favorite BBQ, Copper Top is closed on Monday’s, hence we had to have a meal at our next favorite, Holy Smoke.

After a huge meal at Holy Smoke of ribs, brisket and pulled pork, we walked across the street to Schat’s. We’d kept the Schat’s as a surprise for the kids. They were in wonder at all the cookies, treats, and ice cream. Jasper (4-years-old) ordered ice cream but then wished he had the dino cookie as well. Kim also found several items to decide between, we bought enough to eat something for then and a little something for Tuesday.

With stuffed stomachs we then realized that it was a little late to start up into the mountains and still set up our camp. We went to one nearby campground but they only had 2 sites for that night. We went to the 2nd campground and the situation was the same. We went back to the 1st campground, got our sites and set up. By then it was dark but we were not hungry for dinner so just had some wine and then bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb