Plasket Creek near Big Sur


Advertisement
Published: May 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday, May 01, 2012

I woke up a little before day light. I can tell the light is coming by first hearing the robins. The Jays start just as the light changes. It is the same every time I have camped along the ocean. It is my alarm clock. Debi is lying next to me very serene and beautiful but not ready to get up. I make coffee and walk across Highway 1. The ocean is overcast but the fog has lifted above the cliffs. I am the only one there with endless ocean all around me. I feel like a tiny speck in the universe of nature. The beaches here are very rocky. Every time a big wave comes in, the rocks roll back and make the most wonderful gurgling, tingling sound.





Wedsday, May 02, 2012

Yesterday was one of those perfect days on the California Coast. The overcast skies cleared about noon and there was just a gentle breeze. It was perfectly calm late into the evening. Debi and I got a late start and just drove along the coast in the morning. We came back for naps then took an awe inspiring hike. We entered the Vantana Wilderness at Kirk Creek Campground. This campground was right on the ocean with spectacular views of the Pacific. The mountains in this area raise almost directly from the ocean much like Hawaii. The trail zig zagged up the side of the mountains. The trail was lush with the fog (but not today) induced green and carpets of wildflowers. We hiked for about 3 hours and probably gained 2500 feet. We returned to camp and walked to the ocean after a little relaxing. We found a little pocket nestled on the cliff above the ocean and watched the sun go down. Light clouds were on the horizon that produced a perfect sunset. The skies above were orange and red above a silver ocean below. We had salmon and brussels sprouts by lantern and sat around the campfire until 9:30.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb