North we go


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Big Sur
May 25th 2006
Published: June 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

San Diego to Carmel


Strawberries on the BeachStrawberries on the BeachStrawberries on the Beach

Carpintria Beach was nice, complete with a Bay Watch style life guard house.
After 4 days in San Diego we decided to head north rather than straight to Las Vegas. We had got lucky and got a booking at Yosemite National Park in 7 days time (normally you need to book 6 months in advance). So we headed north via our friends in San Clemente where our green cards, social security numbers and other mail had been sent. It turned out our green cards had arrived but the social security numbers (which we need to work and get cell phones) hadn't arrived.

We headed further north and the traffic was awful! A 2 hour drive to L.A. stretched to 6, and we still had another 3 to get to our campsite for the night.

Finally we arrived in Carpinteria, a small town on the beach about 2 hours north of LA. We got a nice spot meters from the beach and I crashed into bed after a long day’s driving.

The next day we explored, Carpinteria is a cute little town of about 10,000 people that we both think we could live in. The city of Santa Barbara is only 15 minutes away. Santa Barbara is where a lot of wealthy
The PartonsThe PartonsThe Partons

A great night we will always remember
Californians move to so they can get out of LA but still be close enough for business etc.

That evening we had dinner with Lindsay Parton and his family (thanks for the introduction Lester!) On the way there we explored Montecito and were amazed by the beautiful homes on a few acres with great views of the Pacific Ocean. We both decided we really could live here, just the small problem of the prices.

Dinner with the Parton’s was fantastic. It is wonderful to meet people when you are traveling, and the Parton’s were so friendly and made us feel really welcome. Thanks again! The meal was great as well, they do mexican much better here than Ol'El Passo back home!

Lindsay also offered for us to stay in his family beach house for the weekend in Carmel, one days drive north and on our way. (It was amazing that it was even available because it was a long weekend) The thought of having the amenities of home like a full sized shower and TV sounded fantastic!

To get north to Carmel and Monteray you can either take the inland I-5 freeway, or the more scenic but much winder costal Route 1. Just before the entrance to the 1 I saw a sign that said ‘Trucks, Semi Trailers Use Alternate Route’. I wondered if I should do the same with my trailer in tow as I drove past the sign and onto the 1.

The coastal route is spectacular. Steep cliffs plummeting hundreds of meters into an angry sea. The road blasted into the cliffs seems to hang precariously from the edge as it winds around the coast. This is one drive you must do before you die (though I would recommend not towing a caravan if you can). The photos do not do the scale of the cliffs justice.

We arrived quite a few hours later in Carmel. Carmel had Clint Eastwood as it’s mayor and is also home of Pebble Beach golf course. After a little while trying to find the house we arrived. It is a cute place under trees that look like Pohutukawa’s which made me think of home. My backing skills with a trailer were challenged by turning and parking the trailer in a small one way street. We enjoyed TV for the first time in a couple of weeks. Next stop San Francisco

Nick


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



13th June 2006

Green eyes
I am so unbelievably jealous!!! You guys sound like you are having a blast!!! So jealous!

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 58; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb