Blowing across the Painted Desert - Day 5


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Williams
June 17th 2010
Published: June 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Mesa VerdeMesa VerdeMesa Verde

The entry to Mesa Verde Park
After fighting the winds and heat, we finally arrived in Arizona, just south of the Gran Canyon. We did not know we would gain and hour so that was nice.

The Painted Desert between Mesa Verde and Tuba City was extremely windy. Gusts up to about 60 miles per hour brought the red sands of the desert across the road, sometimes where we couldn't see 1/4 mile. The cats were a bit restless too with the motorhome reeling side to side. I didn't get many pictures because of this. There were some great rock formations too. We were disappointed that the 4 Corners park was closed for construction (open only weekends) but we might try to get there this weekend.

We drove the old Route 66 through Flagstaff and it was quite interesting. Some of the older businesses kept their nostalgic look. We finally arrived in Williams around 3 pm. I was happy that I called yesterday morning to reserve one of the last camping spots. I also booked seats for the train. The RV park is right next to the train tracks so we heard a few trains throughout the night. Gary watched them and is very excited to be on the trip today. Gary was quite tense after hanging on to the wheel so we did relax in the whirlpool spa last night.

After a nice breakfast, we are heading to the depot, about a block from the RV. Then off to the Grand Canyon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Dust StormDust Storm
Dust Storm

Visibility was obliterated at times, like a snow storm.
Humphries PeakHumphries Peak
Humphries Peak

12,600 elevation, outside of Flagstaff
FredFred
Fred

Even Fred was beat. He did refuse a trip to the whirlpool


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb