"Welcome to Mexico"


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Verde Valley
November 9th 2008
Published: November 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

no not really...that was just the message I had on my phone while on the California/Arizona border when we stopped at the hotel last evening. Fear not friends...I did not forget you. Alas my connection to the wonderful wireless internet world was unattainable. So although I am late in updating I was thinking of all of you as I was soaking up the warm sunshine and enjoying the scent of sunscreen!
I woke up yesterday to one of the best hotel continental breakfasts I've ever had. Usually I skip breakfast...or rather it skips me as I am sleeping during "normal" breakfast time. Who knew that waffles at a regular old hotel could be so good but I digress and should stay on target. My parent's were humoring me as I told them we should be at the San Diego Zoo as soon as it opens. They had no idea what they were in store for! The Zoo is humongous, those of you who have been will know, and though you can see it in one day if you rush it is better seen in 2! After getting slightly lost in the Gaslamp district...and making some new friends with the men who kept admiring my hubcaps...we arrived just after it opened. My parent's were currently not in the best of moods but I hoped that once they got into the spirit of things that their moods would lighten. Once your inside the Zoo you have the option of going several different ways. My father, ever the cartography student, had his map at the ready. My words to him "Dad put the GD map down...we're going my way!" So off we went through the maze of animals.
I can't even do this place justice...I know I keep saying that but its true. Though it seems kind of pricey ($34) it is worth every penny spent. As I said before I just went here for the first time in March and I was eager to visit again. They are always changing exhibits and adding animal's. The best part is that its very clean and its a great workout (I know I know...when would I EVER say that?) because your walking up and downhill and its miles wide! My father looked like a little kid in a candy store...running from one exhibit to the next. My mother, however, likes to take her time and meander through the exhibits taking it all in as she goes. We made our way through the koala's and the big cats and then we headed for my mother's favorite...the gorilla's!
As we approached their enclosure we noticed that everyone was staring at one particular spot. There stood, in front of the glass, a single male gorilla. He looked forlorn as if to say "who are you and why are you staring at me?" My mother, apparently the next Diane Fossi of Massachusetts, kept telling people "don't stare him in the eyes because it makes him feel threatened." Though I had to chuckle to myself I do think she had a point. Though I don't think he looked "depressed" (Kerry Halligan that one's for you!) he definately looked like he wanted some company. According to the keepers, they have 2 different sets of gorilla families and each one is made up of an adult male and multiple females and possibly younger males who haven't reached adulthood. Each family and the one lone male has designated times they are released into the open enclosure so they can interact with the public and also get some sunshine. One could
and he almost conquered lunch...that would be me!and he almost conquered lunch...that would be me!and he almost conquered lunch...that would be me!

I was watching him through a glass plate and my camera must have pissed him off. He came right up to the window and tried to bite me through it! Woops!
surmise that this lone male would have been quite a problem if he was mingling with another male's women! He kept his distance a lot and finally got his wish as he was let back into his room and out of the exhibit. It was several minutes before we saw even a smidge of activity in the exhibit. Most people grew impatient and soon moved on. Those of us who remained were given the best surprise of all for all of a sudden 2 keepers emerged. One keeper was holding bushels of leaves and other assorted treats to hide in the exhibit and the other was carrying a swaddled bundle that turned out to be a baby male gorilla! She sat in front of the glass and bottle fed and burped the pampered little guy. His face was precious...so similar yet so different from a human child. As she interacted with him in front of her captive audience another keeper took to the mic and talked about why they were choosing to bottle feed. Apparently the little one's mother was also born into captivity and though she holds and appears to care for her baby she would not feed him. She, herself bottle raised, was inept and didn't know that she needed to feed him. Of course my mind began to wander and soon I was thinking about all the mother's we encounter in the NICU and how similar lines are crossed. It was bittersweet to see that little one being fed by his keeper for this was the best life all of those gorilla's would have. I don't necessarily consider myself an animal lover. In fact those of you who really know me know that I am scared of most animals. However I can't imagine a world where we don't share it with animals. But what kind of life is it if your whole existence is spent trapped inside a designated space? And in case I haven't bored you to tears I have one more message to deliver. The next time you get a new cell phone ask the provider where you can send your old battery. If everyone reclyced their cell phone batteries you would be saving the gorilla's from harm. Apparently an ingredient in cell batteries is a natural resource in the gorilla's wild habitat. I believe the mineral is called colten. Every little bit helps people. Imagine if we all did our little parts to make the world a better place? Ok off that soapbox...
After the gorilla's we hit the lions and tigers and bears (oh my!) and more monkeys then you could shake a stick at! They also have a Panda exhibit and man does that get crowded! Those little panda's sure do look sweet and cuddly but I wouldn't want to reach out for a hug. I need all my extremities thank you and they are apparently quite aggressive! When 5 hours had passed, yes 5 whole hours, and we had seen 3/4 of the park, it was time to bid the zoo adieu and head out to the ocean. Or so we thought!
Word to the wise...if your driving in California please leave your Massachusetts attitude's at home! These people are nutty. They drive 100 mph, weave in and out of traffic and brake at the last minute. Traffic is horrendous and unless you know where your going be prepared to get a little lost. Getting my parents to La Jolla was impossible so we settled for a quick drive by the harbor to see the big naval ship The Midway. Rollie didn't want to stop and I couldn't pull my camera out fast enough so alas no photos at all of the ocean. At least they got to see the water a little bit!
We headed back east towards the Arizona border and stopped in a city called El Centro. Let me tell you that last night El Centro was El Stinko! They were having a rodeo weekend and any time you stepped one foot out of the hotel all you could smell was horse and horse byproduct if you know what I mean! We held our noses and ran to the local In N Out Burger (I heart them btw!) and then sucked our breath back in and ran back to the hotel. I certainly feel like an old lady...I can't remember the last time I settled in for bed at 9pm but then again 5:30 wakeup calls are not something I am used to either.
We left this morning and headed back through the desert and its many cacti along with a stop at border patrol. I was pretty sure they were going to ask for my first born but as long as we promised we were all US citizens (Karen, Marge and Shauna they gave mom 2 glances...she is darker then me after all!) they let us go on our merry way. Somewhere along the way my mother spotted a snake from the window (how the hell she did that when I was going 80 I have no idea...I think it was a piece of a tire but she swears it was a snake!) and after that the windows were up and the doors were locked with the only approved spots being gas stations and restaurants. Marianne Cummings had actually told me about a little town called Jerome in the middle of Arizona (not far from Sedona and the red rocks!). We headed in that direction, through construction site after construction site, till we found the little road that led up the mountain. I don't remember her telling me that it was actually on the SIDE of the mountain but I held my breath and braved the twists and turns (similar to the road to Hana in Hawaii I imagine for those of you who know what I am talking about). Once up the mountain there was no place to park but the place was hopping with bikers and beatnik's. I would have loved to have stopped but there's always tomorrow. We made our way back down the mountain, again holding my breath as the cars whizzed by in a 20 mph zone going about 60, and settled in the Verde Valley for the evening. Now with a full belly and some good ol' Dirty Harry (sigh...I kind of feel pathetic writing that) on television I am ready to put this entry to bed.
I hope I didn't bore you all to tears. Thanks also for the many nice comments and complements you've all given me on the blog and the trip itself. Its been a good 9 days with plenty more things to see. Tomorrow we head east again and will hit up Sedona and the petrified forest. I have no idea what I am in store for but I am sure I will have stories to tell...hopefully good ones.
I hope the rain has ended, the skies have cleared and the temperature remains mild for you all back in Boston. I'll catch you all on the flip side!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



9th November 2008

Sounds like fun....
Hey Mary....We missed you at Nik's Lili Party Friday evening. Sounds like you are having fun. I love the pic of your parents @ the zoo. They look beat! Enjoy the nice weather. Have a great time in Sedona! Miss Ya like chicken!
9th November 2008

re Bloom
Hi Sarah! Yes they were pretty beat after the zoo. Currently I am sitting in front of a casino in New Mexico. Carol wanted to try her luck again! I wish I could have been at the party but there is always next time!
10th November 2008

how did you get those pictures of my kids?
Hi Mary i didnt know my kids were visiting the zoo today!! LOL i loved the gorillas the best oh yeah the panda also!!! sorry mom and dad didnt get to see Lahoya, oh so pretty there!!! Glad Cathy sent you some pictures she is so funny!! miss ya K
10th November 2008

re K.K.
Kellie looked so cute!!! She is so grown up these days...I can't believe it! I am officially ready to come home...in my own room tonight. Miss you lots!
17th November 2008

Thanks for the postcard!
Hey Mary thanks for the panda bear postcard from the Zoo! I have actually been there. Mike and I made it a two-day affair so we could see everything. James loved looking at the postcard over and over again (and trying to eat it). Thanks, and it sounds like you're having a memorable time!

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb