Tucson, AZ


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
August 12th 2006
Published: September 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Barrel CactusBarrel CactusBarrel Cactus

The desert can't be that bad when it creates such beauty!!!
Ever been to the Sonoran Desert? You know, those funny looking cacti with arms that stick out all over the place? Ever so expressive...

This trip to Tucson was part of a larger 10 state road trip that Scott and I embarked on this summer. We drove here from Boulder, CO and visited places like the Desert Museum and camped at Mesa Verde. My absolute favorite thing growing in this part of the world is the barrel cactus. It blooms these miniature pineapple-looking fruits and has bright flowers. Someone mentioned that if you took a machete to it in the middle it would gush water everywhere - apparently it has a good water cylinder in its body.

We started our Mata Ortiz pottery collection on this trip. If you've never heard of Mata Ortiz, it's an interesting story about a family and community of people that reinvigorated an old style of pottery and I must say, their work is stunning! Our favorite potter is a guy named Eduardo Pedregon, whose style is very geometric and he's got an awesome eye for detail.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Scott and his Mom, BarbaraScott and his Mom, Barbara
Scott and his Mom, Barbara

This picture was taken at the Anastazi Cave Dwellings, Mesa Verde.
...the Saguaro!...the Saguaro!
...the Saguaro!

This tree was picturesque inside the boundaries of the Saguaran desert en route to the Desert Museum.
Cliff DwellingsCliff Dwellings
Cliff Dwellings

The old homes of the Anastazi people. How cool to live in a cave?!


Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 16; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0785s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb