Wanderings in the desert


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
December 9th 2012
Published: December 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hello all,

We are settling into the rhythm of life in our RV park. I really like it here. It is fairly small as far as RV parks go but the space for our RV is double what you would normally get at most any other RV park. Plenty of room to spread out. It is really quiet and very low key. They do not have an activities 'director' and not a lot of scheduled activities. Monday morning is coffee & donuts & weekly update in the clubhouse at 9 am. Tuesday morning, if you wish, meet at the clubhouse for a hike through the desert. Wednesday a 'caravan' trip somewhere. Thursday & Friday, I don't even remember. Saturday night is a bonfire in the back of the clubhouse and Sunday is a 'free' day, which is kinda' funny since there is not much going on anyway. Also, there is no pool and no bingo....(the pool I don't really care about in Dec., Jan. or Feb), but we would like bingo. There will be Christmas dinner at the clubhouse. The owners are providing the ham, turkey & stuffing and the residents who choose to participate will bring the rest (I have signed on for green bean casserole, which Christine assures me is always a favorite here.) Our neighbors have decided to host a party at the clubhouse on Christmas Eve. They will provide ham sandwiches and everyone should be a 'snack to share'. On the 20th we are having an 'all you can eat omelettes' for $5.00/pp, which I have been told is an absolute must! And the 4th Thursday of each month is an "all you can eat" pizza party!

The park is developed, owned and operated by a couple 'Doc' Justin and his wife Christine. 'Doc' Justin also has a travel business and conducts guided tours to Indochina and Africa twice a year. The park is located southwest of the city of Tucson and is surrounded by desert. It is really quiet, you can hear a rooster in the morning and (lots) of coyotes at night (I love it). The weather for the past week has been sunny every day and 75-80 daytime and 45-50 overnight. This is a little warmer than usual and the temps are due to drop about 10 degs. this week. The sun is always hot and there is a constant breeze. This makes choosing clothing very difficult especially if we plan to spend the day out somewhere. Since the mornings are cool, you need to start out with long pants, a long sleeve shirt and a jacket. By 10 am the sun is so warm it is time to remove the jacket and hour later it is time to roll up the long sleeves or hopefully we were smart enough to wear short sleeves. An hour or two more and we are wishing we wore shorts! But, if we step into the shade, will the cool breeze, we are ready to start piling the clothes back on. (Bobi: does this remind you of our conversation on what clothes and how many to bring????)

One of the first things I was told when I arrived were how spectacular the sunsets are.....so on our second evening, I wandered out into the desert and took some pics. Keep in mind I am simply a oridinary picture taker and have no photography skills or special lenses of any kind. What you see in the pictures is what I saw when I took them. In addition, I have some pictures of Jim and I on a morning hike into the desert. Hope you enjoy them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



15th December 2012

Nice Picz
Nice picz mom! Sounds like you guys are fairly close to where I used to be stationed. Makes me miss the terrain out there and we will definitely bring Alex out there someday. Love you!
19th December 2012

Alex will be amazed!!

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb