Goodbye fabulous USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
October 11th 2009
Published: October 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We are now in delightful Tucson having a few days break whilst Namibia (our trusty BMW) has some TLC, including a big service and new tires after bringing us 10,000 kilometers. From Glacier National Park, Montana, via going to the sun road, then Yellowstone, Grand Teton and the magnificent bear tooth highway in Wyoming, we continued south through Logan Pass, into Salt Lake City. We then did the big South West circle of national parks and canyons-Bryce Canyon, Capital Reef, Canyonlands, Archers, Monument Valley & Grand Canyon. Stunning, magnificent scenery, a feast for our eyes, and each of them so different.
Our romantic dreams of camping out under the stars has been our only dissapointment. We have only camped 4 times since our trip commenced almost 7 weeks ago!- the first time in Tombstone national park we got the last campsite which was really a gravel RV site, so we were drowned out when it poured with rain, then outside Denali National Park the weather suddenly changed and we froze our butts off. For the grand finale we were almost blown off the bluff above Glen Canyon, the tent poles bent and we hardly slept at all due to howling gale force winds (?from the witches in their cauldron) from the canyon below! However we awoke to a fantastic view from our campsite on the ridge looking down into the canyon and behind the buttes, mesas and spires of the rocks of Monument Valley Navajo Tribal park.
We are now at the end of the USA leg of our journey preparing ourselves for Mexico and what better place to do so but in south western Arizona, with its Hispanic heritage, warm weather, blue skies and fabulous mexican food. American people for the most part have been extremely accommodating and helpful. A really positive experience.
We’d like to make a speical mention and thanks to Frank Zabriske from ZMW adventure tours who has provided us with an absolute wealth of information and help and is considered the best motorcycle mechanic in Tucson- if you are in need of customer centred, innovative and high quality service do not bypass this truly very special person who goes out of his way to help.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb