When is "ENOUGH, ENOUGH?"


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
March 30th 2009
Published: March 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

My wife and I have always seen the United States as a nation that provides superior airline service. Our interaction with our countries airlines has been one of comfort, fairness, courtesy and above all SAFETY!!

As a consumer we fully understand the need for cash-strapped airlines too create new revenue streams. When does the user say, “enough is enough” to the continuing increase in airlines ancillary revenues?

The Desert Oracle has listed some charges the typical traveler may occur that they may see as not-so-typical:

1st checked bag...$15

2nd checked bag...$25

Additional bags...bag 3$125 bag 4$200

Overweight bags...51-70 lbs:$50 71-100 lbs: $100

Oversized bags...62-79 in. $100 80+ $150

Ticket change fee (both domestic and International)$100 on-line otherwise $110

Booking Fees (on phone/in person)$20/$25

Seat Selection $10-$20 for extra leg room

Inflight food fees...$5 snacks, $7 Sandwiches, $6 alcoholic beverages

Unaccompanied Minor charges. $75 non-stop $100 connecting... Each way

Typical round-trip domestic flights, the taxes and fees start to add up. We are talking Facility Charges or PFCs for each takeoff, September 11th Security Fee for each takeoff , federal segment fees. I am sure I am forgetting some additional Travel Facilities Tax.

I really believe the “blanket and pillow” fee is taking the a-la-carte service to the point where in the end their 'creative' FEES may cost the industry.

Finally, the fee that has put The Desert Oracle over the edge. My wife and I are in the process of attempting to book a round trip flight from Tucson, AZ to Minneapolis, MN. , via Northwest Airlines. We usually travel with our 10 pound dog, Topsy. NWA rules state our dog must always remain in her carry-on under our seat for the duration of the flight.

OK, that is fair. However, the $300 round trip charge for our pet is more that we are charged for our seats. And we get to be travel in the seat.

With all these extra charges, and frequent flier programs that are becoming more and more difficult to use, we may be watching a "sinking ship". Will we have to pay a fee for the use of a life preserver in that event?

Irish budget airline Ryanair has said it is considering charging passengers for using the toilet while flying.
Chief executive Michael O'Leary told the BBC that the Dublin-based carrier was looking at maybe installing a "coin slot on the toilet door".
http://www.timesonline.co.UK/tol/travel/news/article5814577.ece

The Desert Oracle hopes Ryanair planes have plastic-covered seats...Actually the idea of creating a market speculating on whether any enterprising duty free shops or airport concessions in RYANAIR served airports might add adult diapers to their inventories.....OK, I know you are all thinking...."it DEPENDS". Personally if The Desert Oracle had to choose..it would be HUGGIES.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb