Friday in Featherland


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
April 8th 2022
Published: April 9th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We had had a tip from a couple yesterday to go to the Madera Canyon area, especially because there was a feeder area.

It was about 50 minutes away, and we discovered some interesting things and not just birds: there was strip-mining south of Tucson – huge squared off “tubs” of water – that was copper mining. AZ is evidently the source of most of the US’s copper. And then we wondered why US Rt 19 was marking everything in KILOMETERS instead of miles???? Because the road was built right after Congress approved a bill to switch over from miles to metrics, in like 1974. When it never really “caught on,” and we kept the funny old English system, the locals loved it and fought to keep the signs. Evidently there’s a stretch of road near Louisville in KY too for the same reason. AND evidently this area was explore by Coronado, and Jesuit priests founded some missions here, dating back to 1672. We passed one beautiful white church/mission. When Mexico gained independence from Spain, they made everyone who had been born in Spain leave, including priests. That must have been heart-wrenching for families - did it really happen?

The feeder was MY KIND of birding – just sitting in the shade with binoculars! There were many birds swooping in and out constantly and it was amazing. We were there for well over 2 hours before moving on to a parking area higher up for our picnic lunch and a Townsend warbler.

This was a much more relaxing day, but did we get to come back to the casita and relax? no, we had to drive about an hour to Patagonia, very near the Mexican border, to another Audubon feeding center. And it was just as wonderful and we picked up a few more life-birds.

So, all in all it was a day with SIXTEEN new life-birds.

I have to put in a word about the turkeys. Every time a bird scattered some seeds or dislodged some suet, they were right there. And gorgeously colored with the sun shining on them. At one point I counted 16 turkeys in the feeder area. Opportunists.

Finally got home around 6, tired and sticky, but definitely not as hot as yesterday.

We are feeling a little guilty because we could not participate in a board meeting for Lutheran Marriage Encounter this evening, as we are 3 hours different, and tomorrow morning, as we will be off to another national park. But everything is under control with our wonderful co-leaders and friends, and we are just having a lovely (tho busy as usual) time.

All the new birds are labeled starting with 1, as we are sure you are keen to know.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0912s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb