Hysterical Journey To Historic Places


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tombstone
December 12th 2012
Published: December 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

ED SCHIEFFLINED SCHIEFFLINED SCHIEFFLIN

The monument is about 2 miles west of Tombstone on Allen Street. It is past the cemetery. Go to the other side of the wash.
ED SCHIEFFLIN



Ed was a single-blanket, jackass prospector. In 1877 he gave up his job as a civilian scout for the army at Camp Huachuca, AT. He outfitted himselfand with 30 cents cash in his pocket set out to become a wealthy man. Scouting the Apaches was tough work and fraught with constant peril, but it exposed himto an area of low hills situated about midway between the Dragoon Mountains to the east and the San Pedro River to the west. On one of those hills about two miles north of Goose Flats Ed struck onto some promising float. His backer in the venture, William Griffith of Tucson, thought the sample was worthless and severed his connection, but Ed kept faith in his find. He went in search of his brother, Al, up in Globeto enlist further backing. Al was gone from there though and the 30 cents had given out so Ed took a job. On payday he quit that job and followed Al up to the mining works at Signal. Al liked the specimens and showed them to his friend, Dick Gird, who was amining engineer. Dick assayed them out to two thousand dollars per ton. The three of them formed a partnership on the spot, Al and Dick quit their jobs and they all headed back to Goose Flats. They soon located the ledge, staked it, and Goose Flats became Tombstone. Dick gird kept his part of the Contention claim and ran it successfully. Ed and Al sold their claims in the Lucky Cuss and the Tough Nut to investors for a hefty sum and they both retired to the good life. Ed was 29 years old. He travelled the world until he got bored, then took a wife and raised a passel of youngsters. Always a restless man, he returned to prospecting. In 1897 he died athis camp in Oregon hunched over some promising gold ore. He had perhaps struck it rich again, but had staked no claim. He was buried in his ratty old clothes with his pick and canteen on the hill near Tombstone where he located the original float. The photo shows the monument erected over Ed’s grave.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb