Tombstone


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tombstone
January 28th 2007
Published: January 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Tombstone, AZ


Tombstone was perhaps the most renowned of Arizona's old mining camps. When Ed Schieffelin (SHEF·e·lin) came to Camp Huachuca (hwah·CHEW·kuh) with a party of soldiers and left the fort to prospect, his comrades told him that he'd find his tombstone rather than silver. Thus, in 1877 Schieffelin named his first claim the Tombstone, and rumors of rich strikes made a boomtown of the settlement that adopted this name.

Days of lawlessness and violence, which nearly had then-President Chester A. Arthur declaring martial law in Tombstone and sending in military troops to restore order, climaxed with the infamous Earp-Clanton battle, fought near the rear entrance of the O.K. Corral, on October 26, 1881. Over the course of 7 years the mines produced millions of dollars in silver and gold before rising underground waters forced suspension of operations.

After cashing in on the Arizona bonanza, Ed Schieffelin went back to the mining life he knew so well. He prospected in Alaska in 1882, and later in the Pacific Northwest.

Schieffelin died in Grant County, Oregon, on May 14, 1897, at the age of 49. At his request, he was returned to Tombstone for burial, nine days after his death. He was afforded a grand funeral at Schieffelin Hall. He was laid to rest on a hillside about a mile from town (beneath a marker in the shape of a miner's claim).

Chamber of Commerce
P.O. Box 995
Tombstone, AZ 85638
(888) 457-3929


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb