Quartzsite Sights Visited


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Quartzsite
March 3rd 2023
Published: April 20th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We visited a few of the area attractions while in Quartzsite and the surrounding area. Here are photos and explanations of each location.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Quartzsite, ArizonaQuartzsite, Arizona
Quartzsite, Arizona

We spent the winter, about 3 1/2 months in Quartzsite. Here are some of the sights we saw in and around Quartzsite.
Margarita Mine Assay OfficeMargarita Mine Assay Office
Margarita Mine Assay Office

This is on the ground of the Quartzsite Historical Museum, also called the Tysons Well Stage Station Museum.
Margarita Mine Assay OfficeMargarita Mine Assay Office
Margarita Mine Assay Office

Inside is equipment from the assay office.
Oasis Hotel RuinsOasis Hotel Ruins
Oasis Hotel Ruins

This was a place for travelers to find respite and protection on their way to or from California.
Barrett VillageBarrett Village
Barrett Village

Walter Barrett moved to Quartzsite in 1970 with his wife. He was fascinated with the rocks in the area and used them to build his home. Then he began making other projects with rocks, including this miniature village. It was donated to the museum by his children after his death.
Barrett Village Castle.Barrett Village Castle.
Barrett Village Castle.

One of the buildings in the Barrett Village.
WagonWagon
Wagon

Wagon for hauling equipment or ore.
CamelCamel
Camel

In the mid-1800's the government decided to deal with the terrain of the southwest like the desert dwellers in the Middle East, with camels. Eventually over 70 camels were imported to transport freight and people across the desert Southwest. Hadji Ali was a camel caretaker from Syria that came with the first batch of camels. He was called Hi Jolly by those in the military that he served. When the camel project was abandoned in the 1860's the camels were set free to fend for themselves in the desert near Quartzsite. The last reported camel sighting was in 1942.
Hi Jolly TombHi Jolly Tomb
Hi Jolly Tomb

Hadji Ali stayed in the area after his role of camel caretaker ended. He lived into his seventies. The locals were so fond of him that, after he died they spent several weeks building Hi Jolly a special pyramid tomb. It is made of multicolored petrified wood and quartz. It was dedicated on January 4, 1903.
Imperial DamImperial Dam
Imperial Dam

Completed in 1938, the dam retains the waters of the Colorato River into the Imperial Reservoir before desilting and diversion into the All-American Canal and the Gila Gravity Main Canals.
Colorado RiverColorado River
Colorado River

The river just up from the Imperial Dam
Q MountainQ Mountain
Q Mountain

Many cities out west have a mountain with the first letter of the town on one of the faces. Quartzsite had "Q" mountain. It is a popular mountain to climb.
The summitThe summit
The summit

As with most days in Quartzsite it was breezy. Mike near the "Support Our Troops" flag.
American FlagAmerican Flag
American Flag

The sun may have been out, but it was a cool, breezy day when we hiked to the top.
MazieMazie
Mazie

Mike pointing to our Jeep on the desert floor below.
DescendingDescending
Descending

Back down Q mountain. It was a fun climb!
Celia's Rainbow GardensCelia's Rainbow Gardens
Celia's Rainbow Gardens

Paul & Joanne Winer lost their only daughter when she was 8 1/2 years old from a viral illness that affected her heart. Located on 8 acres of the Quartzsite Town Park, the gardens were inspired by the dreams of Celia to make the world a better place. There are many memorials to friends and family members throughout the garden.
MemorialMemorial
Memorial

Beautiful paver stones for a much loved wife, mother, grandmother, and friend.
88 Shades RV Park88 Shades RV Park
88 Shades RV Park

Memorials for people that once lived at the RV park.
ChurchChurch
Church

A small replica of a church in the garden.
BellsBells
Bells

Mike can never resist ringing a bell.
Butterfly gardenButterfly garden
Butterfly garden

Celia died on October 25, 1995. Her parents got permission from the city to create the garden 1 year after her death. It started as a nature trail, but continues to grow with the addition of plants, trees, and memorials.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb