Big Driving - Zion - Cortez


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Monument ValleyMonument ValleyMonument Valley

Fantastic views all around
Huge amounts of driving over the last few days but it has been really rewarding. Up to 2500 miles now in 12 days of driving. After the relative cool temperatures of Zion (90's) we moved onto Monument Valley which was another great place to be, but incredibly hot(100+). Not much in the way of horticultural delight but the scenery was brilliant as expected. Stayed in campsite for a couple of nights, which had the added bonus of showing John Wayne films that were made in the area. It is great saying things like - "I recognise that bit of rock". We stayed on the edge of the Navajo nation and thus was very big on all things associated with the Navajo. All was very interesting and a bit of an eye opener. Drove a little out to go the Natural Bridges area which involved a precarious climb up a steep gravel road to the top of a mesa. Expansive views from the top. Did not have time to hike to all the bridges but made it to one. Moved on from Monument Vally to Cortez (via the Four corners monument which is the border between New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona and Utah).
Natural BridgeNatural BridgeNatural Bridge

This is the Natural Bridge that we could walk to in the time. Really impressive. It is formed mainly by running water erosion as opposed to just weathering which forms arches - see next blog.
From Cortez made an unplanned and thoroughly worthwhile visit to Mesa Verde National Park which had early Pueblo dwellings within the cliffs. Really great place and a interesting way to get to see them . Climbing up ladders and walking close to cliff edges. Not necessarily for those that fear heights. Onwards to Moab for the next installment.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

4 Corners Monument4 Corners Monument
4 Corners Monument

A limb in each state
Mesa VerdeMesa Verde
Mesa Verde

The dwellings were in pretty good order for 1200 yrs old.
John WayneJohn Wayne
John Wayne

Cough!!
Monument ValleyMonument Valley
Monument Valley

Sunrise from the campsite


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb