Day 5 - Lake Havasau


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Lake Havasu City
November 24th 2010
Published: November 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 5 – Lake Havasau City, Arizona – Nov 23, 2010

On our way to Lake Havasau, our first stop was at the Grand Canyon Caverns on Rt 66. This is a “dry” cavern, which was different from other caverns that I had gone to in the past. There were not many stalactites and stalagmites that one would see in the other caverns. Our tour guide was very good and shared some enlightening stories about the cavern. There is even a room set up in the cavern that you can rent at $700 a night.

Our next stop was the Rt 66 Museum in Kingman. This was very interesting to learn about the road Rt 66 and how so many travelers traveled the road in the great depression to go to California to start a better life. The sad story about how only 8% actually relocated to California because most were “turned away” from entering California. The Grapes of Wrath depicts the story and I know I must have read it growing up but now I realize what an important story this was. The road starts in Illinois and ends in California. The museum was great!

The next stop was the Mohave Museum. This museum was nice too. It is located right down the street in Kingman. The museum featured portraits of all the presidents and their wives.

Traveling on Rt 66 was like any other road except you could see all the vacant properties which one day were very prosperous and now sit vacant. Like the land time forgot, kind of sad.

We arrived in Lake Havasau and checked into our hotel named Heat. Super nice hotel, and our balcony looks right at the London Bridge. The décor is very modern. Robert says it smells like the perfume counter at Lord & Taylor. The room has a Jacuzzi tub, feather down comforter, work stations for our laptops; it is a very comfortable hotel!! For dinner we walked across the way and ate at Barley Bros. We had a great steak dinner and tried their brews! Robert tried the ale and I tried the Oatmeal Stout- very good!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Cactus - KingmanCactus - Kingman
Cactus - Kingman

These cactus are all around this area.
Heat HotelHeat Hotel
Heat Hotel

Heat Hotel in Lake Havasau - directly across from London Bridge.
London BridgeLondon Bridge
London Bridge

View from our hotel room! soo pretty.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb