Hiking a caldera


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Florence
January 13th 2012
Published: January 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The CaveThe CaveThe Cave

There is a hole in the middle of this rock halfway the face. You're looking at Broadway Cave
Hiking in the Superstition Mountains. We hiked up to the Broadway Cave on the face of Superstition Mountain. We reached a height of 2700 feet. The Superstitions were created by volcanic eruptions 35 to 15 million years ago. Close to 2500 cubic miles of ash and lava were emitted. The area is called a caldera. Meaning the roofs of the magma chambers collapsed forming massive circular areas. Eventually a large upthrust of lava created a dome. And today this geologic formation creates quite a hike. About halfway up the face of this mountain is a cave, mainly created by various erosion mechanics. In the back of the cave, humans have attempted to tunnel further into the mountain.

Above our condo is a plateau that affords one views of sunsets and moon rises. I was photographing a sunset in the west and turned around and watched a full moon rise in the east. Long shadows on the desert floor accompained us home. Sky views out here are just amazing.

We've settled in quite well. We've been adding some landscaping


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Front edgeFront edge
Front edge

A view looking north. The front edge of Superstition Mt.
The foothillsThe foothills
The foothills

A common view of the vegetation in the lower reaches.
I'm whippedI'm whipped
I'm whipped

I made it to the cave. It wasn't easy.
A steep faceA steep face
A steep face

Looking south from the mouth of the cave. This gives an idea of what the last 500 feet of the climb. was like.
The condoThe condo
The condo

A side view.
The condoThe condo
The condo

The view from above.


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb