The Lowell Observatory, Flagstaff, AZ


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Flagstaff
September 18th 2014
Published: September 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

In 2011 Margo and I visited “The Lowell”, one of America’s oldest and most prestigious private research institutions. It was founded at Flagstaff, Arizona in 1894 by Percival Lowell, scion of a distinguished Massachusetts family, mathematician, eminent scholar, author, indefatigable researcher, and lifelong student of the universe. He built its reputation and directed its work until his death in 1916: since then it has been governed by a trustee who is a member of the Lowell family.

With Mars as his first subject, Lowell’s research branched out through the entire solar system and beyond. He was aided by a number of assistants and research scientists, all supported by his own finances. The observatory is probably best known as the place where decades of searching for a mysterious “planet X” finally led after his death to the discovery of the orbiting body which came to be named Pluto . Also, research done at the Lowell ultimately led to the development of the “Big Bang Theory”, which is now a widely-accepted explanation of the origin of the universe.

I don’t have the knowledge or background to list ALL the research and accomplishments of this institution, or to comment on their importance. The same goes for the new projects that are being undertaken even today, by NASA,for example. For a good overview of what the Lowell Observatory has done and what it means in the scientific community, please consult http://arizonakey.com/rich-media-panels/lowell-observatory/ and view the video. The “Lowell” is a destination not to be missed: I think that, like Margo and me, you’ll be astounded at what one man with vision, persistence and dedication has accomplished.

Don’t forget you can view any of the individual photos below in full size by clicking on it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb