Day 69: Journey from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Flagstaff
July 6th 2011
Published: July 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

P1020959P1020959P1020959

our hostel in flagsstaff
Today we awoke from our hostel in Flagstaff pretty early. Coolest lil hostel. On route 66 so lots of funky things all over the walls. And some real friendly people staying there. A few interesting characters but isn’t there always?! We had planned a big day with lots of attractios to see and had done some general directions from google maps but they seemed a bit vague and we decided to see some others while we were at one of them so headed initially to the Coconino national park which contained the Walnut Canyon, Sunset Volcano and crater and the Wupatki national monument. So, we started off at the canyon which really was incredible! Bigger than we thought. We went for a walk down into it and took some great photos! Another stunningly hot day so we melted a bit while walking up and down in jandals! Pretty cool to see how people back the lived! Pretty nice set up really!

Then, we headed to the Sunset crater which actually was the only monument of these 3 that we had wanted to see, and turned out to be least cool! The volcano was impressive but the crater wasn’t as impressive as we had hoped. But still good to see nonetheless!

Off then to the Wupatki national monument which was actually very cool! Red rock ruins that people used to live in! No where near as well designed as machu picchu but still pretty impressive. We saw the 3 main ruins and then bolted cos once again we hit the afternoon in Arizona and the monsoon season showed us what it was all about! Pouring, thunder, lightening, wind! The works!

So off we headed the rest of the way to the Grand Canyon. Driving in it was hard to watch where I was driving as it was so incredibly spectacular! Even with the storm going on! We arrived at the village which is where all the Grand Canyon lodges were. And boy was it chaotic!! Everyone was arriving or leaving and all the roads between the lodges were one way! We got very lost and confused and very very over it!! So I parked illegally for a bit while El jumped out and tried to find out what was going on and where we were meant to find a park in this crazy times place!! She struggled to deal
P1020961P1020961P1020961

walnut canyon
with the red round man as he spoke verrrrryyyy slowly to her and she still came away with no idea what was going on! But we did find a park! And sprinted inside our lil lodge to find cover as it was raining so hard. All our stuff was stranded in the car and we actually thought we would be sleeping in our clothes!!

Our lodge – Bright Angel Lodge was literally 15 steps at the most from the south rim of the grand canyon! Like totally in our backyard! It was amazing!!! When the rain stopped we got our stuff and had a peek at the massiveness that was the canyon! We headed off to a lil restaurant and splashed out for dinner! We had the most hilarious water pourer and a great waiter. Food was amazing and they got a good lil tip for their efforts! After dinner we pretty much headed to bed as it had been a long day! Started watching The Hangover 2 as we snuggled in our lil double bed once again! Great first impressions of the Grand Canyon except the crazy weather!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

P1020985P1020985
P1020985

sunset crater
P1020988P1020988
P1020988

wupatki ruins/national monument
P1020995P1020995
P1020995

the thunderousness that is the afternoons in arizona


Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.132s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb