First Halt


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Flagstaff
December 25th 2007
Published: January 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Historic route 66



We flew in to Las Vegas on 24th December and after a night's stop we drove across the Hoover Dam, stopping briefly to have a look at the 70 year old, 1200 ft long massive construction that stands tall across the Colorado river. We decided to skip the Valley of Fire because the park was closed on account of Christmas, promising ourselves that we would return a day sooner to visit it. But, no promise is worth keeping, unless there's money or food involved, so we went to the chocolate factory on the last day! But keeping things more chronological, we drove away from the dam stopping at a scenic view overlooking Lake Mead.
We took the I-40 to Flagstaff, Arizona, our first destination. Driving along the interstate is more efficient but we occasionally drove on the famous historic route 66 near Seligna where it runs parallel to the interstate. It's a beautiful drive with historic markers all along. Driving towards Flagstaff, one can take a detour, 89 south passing through ghost towns of Jerome and Prescott(further south). The road continues all the way to Flagstaff. Exit 295 on I-17 is supposed to be a very scenic view of the Verde river but unfortunately it was dark by the time we reached.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

I-40I-40
I-40

Well, so what if it's an interstate? it's still pretty!


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb