Alaska II - Unalaska & the port of Dutch Harbor


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Unalaska
November 15th 2008
Published: November 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0




It's like the End of the World (again)


It seems I was worth a shout on the radio: "HEY! I just picked up a tourist, from SCOTLAND!". That was Sheila, owner and chief driver for Mr. Kab in Unalaska and Dutch Harbor, and also my guide for the afternoon. She's not cheap, nothing is in Alaska because of the cost of importing everything northwards. But whilst the rest of Alaska was expensive compared to the Lower 48, Unalaska is expensive like Norway. I hired her for 2 hours, but she was happy for me to stay another 2 after that when she went back to picking up fares, so I stayed and helped people with the doors & their luggage.

She spoke non-stop with a narrative of who's boat that was we were passing, which places were bombed in WWII, why its so hard to get land to build a house here, I didn't try and write any of it down I wouldn't have been able to keep up, but she's a goldmine of information. She's used to taxi in Barrow inside the Arctic Circle, and the US's most Northerly point, then she worked on the Trans-Alaska pipeline before coming here 15 years ago. I told her she should write a book, she was full of so many tales. If you're ever here (can't think where you'd be on your way to, nobody just 'passes through' Unalaska) just stand at the side of the road for 30 minutes, she'll probably pass you twice, the place is so small.

I've wanted to see this place for years, and like Newfoundland, it was because of a book: "Polar Star" by Martin Cruz Smith had one chapter that was set even further out West along the Aleutians ("...the where?") and I had to open an atlas to see where the place was. I think Unalaska is the furthest worthwhile place to visit, though some people do live on the further out islands. Everyone I met assumed I'd seen the Discovery Channel's "The Deadliest Catch" which is filmed on the draggers, longliners and crabbers that work out of here. I've seen a couple of episodes and it's not bad TV. I know nothing about fishing and fishermen, but if they're anything like the boys that come down to Aberdeen from Peterhead, boulie-cruising with fast cars they look too young to own
Bald EagleBald EagleBald Eagle

Spent some time (successfully) creeping to within 30m of bald eagles in Juneau and Sitka, then I get to Dutch Harbor & they sit on the skips looking at me from just 20ft away.
yet, then they'll earn a lot of money they don't know how to handle and spend all of it on fun, some of it illegal fun. Everyone was friendly though, and when I took a seat at the bar it wasn't 5 minutes before the next guy (not many girls here) turned around and we were talking. And the novelty of a Brit here just to see the place got smiles all around.

Unalaska and it's port, Dutch Harbor, were bombed for 2 days by the Japanese 6 months after Pearl Harbor. They didn't fancy the idea that now Russia was our ally, the US had a route through which to fly bombers along the Aleutians and down the Russian Pacific coast to threaten the Japanese mainland. So they hit Dutch Harbor for 2 days and landed troops on Attu and Kiska a good 600 or more miles further West, and it took the US 19 days of fighting, over 2000 wounded and 500 dead to get them back. The beaches here are still studded with concrete pill-boxes and the hill-tops have gun emplacements but a land-battle was never fought on Unalaska island.

But the Russians were here first of course, they sailed past here on their way to discover mainland Alaska. They left the Cathedral of the Holy Ascension though, which is the prettiest of the Russian Orthodox churches I've seen so far.

I was lucky with the weather too: bright sunshine and blue skies with occasional snow shower and it only dipped below freezing at night. Normally the weather's foul, dangerously so. Three weeks ago a local vessel, the 'Katmai', had lost her rudder and rolled over in a storm with, I think, 7 lives lost and Sheila knew most of them. The weather also means sometimes the plane can't get in and with 5 flights a day from Anchorage, the bodies pile up when no-one can get on or off the island. So the Grand Aleutian hotel gets busy. I walked to it from the airport as it was just 20 minutes away. I'd seen it from the plane window: large hotel, remote location, snow everywhere - Jack Nicholson charging around with a big axe is what it put me in mind of. They do a seafood buffet on Wednesdays that I can recommend & it feels like the whole town is there. I've
Fishing boat bridge windowFishing boat bridge windowFishing boat bridge window

('that' sort of fun)
never eaten crab so big, the red kings they pull out the water can get to 4ft across.

The Aleutians are a volcanic chain, so there's little flat ground here: the airport runway was built on a causeway extending into the bay just across the channel from Makushin volcano, which still makes the odd noise once in a while. The landing was like entering the trench around the Death Star: our little Saab 340 (27 pax tops) flew between the volcano and Mount Ballyhoo and as the runway appeared she banked sharp left and dropped almost to touch the water before landing on a runway that is too short for the Boeing 737's that come in & out of Aberdeen. It's so jaw-droppingly beautiful here, if I haven't posted enough photos to make that obvious. In the Summer the brochures show the place bright green with wild flowers everywhere. On the flight back to Anchorage we lifted off in bright sunshine surrounded by saw-tooth mountain tops, then passed Shishaldin volcano on Unimak Island which was smoking. It was the finish to two such perfect days that if all the rest of my flights are cloudy, I'll be happy enough I got to see the view from this one.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Church of the Holy AscensionChurch of the Holy Ascension
Church of the Holy Ascension

I'm told the 3 horizontals on the crucifixes refer to the sign above Jesus' head, the one to which he was nailed, and the lowest slanted one indicates the two criminals that were crucified on either side of him, one of which was saved.
Makushin volcanoMakushin volcano
Makushin volcano

The runway is just visible at bottom-right as well, and the plane crosses in front of the volcano before coming in.


15th November 2008

I forgot the Porsche-count!
Sorry folks, here's the numbers: Juneau: 1/3 days (!) Sikta: 0/3 days Unalaska: 0/2 days
16th November 2008

Great Pic
Unalaska looks impressive. Was Miss Sheila as good a tour guide as Miss Pam?
16th November 2008

Amazing
Martin - don't know how you find these remote places, but it looks amazing and beautiful. Not so good perhaps if you live there all the time but nevertheless makes one wish one was there too. Good luck, look forward to next instalment
16th November 2008

Congratulations
I am so pleased you are getting to tick all the boxes - and enjoying some great weather enabling simply magic photography.
17th November 2008

Unalaska
Are you going to meet that politcal lady what shoots moose for Jesus?
24th November 2008

Dutch Harbor October 2008
I was in Dutch Harbor in October 2008 and spent some time talking with Sheila and you are so correct she is a "goldmine of information". I spent the days just walking around taking in the great views and going to the local spots like LFS, bank, PO, food store, bars ...just to see the locals. What a trip! I can't wait to return.
29th December 2008

lovely photos
Especially love the photo of Dutch Harbor and the Bald Eagle.
1st October 2010

I live here!;fakldja;skdfj
4th December 2011
Captain's Bay, Unalaska

Mr Kab & Tours is operating as of last year 2010 in and out of Wasilla, Alaska ....Formerly 16 years in Dutch Harbor/Unalaska
Mr Kab & Tours operated in Dutch Harbor/Unalaska since 1980 (formerly from Hawaii)....Sheila Taranto the owner since 2005 has operated tours in Alaska for the past 38 years...her roots go deep into Alaska since 1898 with her Great Grandfather, Ivan L. Peterson, sailing his ship the Florence from San Francisco, Calif , to Unalaska, Alaska, Nome, St Micheals and up the Yukon River to the Klondike Godrush of 1896 out of Dawn City Yukon , Canada. Sheila Taranto owned and operated Arctic Safari Tours in Barrow along the Arctic Ocean discovering the past, present and future of the Arctic Alaska and set sail for Skagway, Alaska ....enjoying a summer 1995 working and gaining history of her great grandfather's ventures....returning to the Aleutian Islands to develop Mr Kab & Tours....recently in 2010 relocating to Wasilla, Matanuska Valley...to continue on her historical venture of her Great Grandfather and Grandfather, who lived in Chickaloon, Alaska a community of the Matnuska Valley. In this valley Sheila's daughters have settled and here they are raising the grand and great grandchildren....which makes this area ideal for Sheila's up and coming Birding Bed & Breakfast and to continue on with the Touring of historical points of Alaska, entertaining those who come to see Alaska sharing her discoveries and adventures and telling the tales of a mighty land in this northern country of America. Sheila's Alaskan wilderness retreat will entertain Birders and Hikers from around the world in 2013, a special retreat on the Bluff overlooking a lake reserve, Palmer Hayfield Flats, overlooking the Cook Inlet...watch for us in 2013 for Grand Opening.
2nd April 2013

Sheila is rebulding her life in North Dakota...Williston area and all over the state with Mr Kab Taxi of North Dakota
many stories are gaining her interest in building the last last frontier of America...in the oilpatch of Dakota's .... ....

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb