ALASKA ROAD TRIP- SEWARD HIGHWAY


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Seward
July 12th 2005
Published: August 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Would you believe, a walk to a glacier.Would you believe, a walk to a glacier.Would you believe, a walk to a glacier.

On this trip we walked near, on of saw glaciers. We never tired of them. The thing that we saw and heard was they are melting, global warming. these are the warning signs.

We’re all proud of making little mistakes. It gives us the feeling we don’t make any big ones.-----------Andy Rooney





July 12, 2005, Tuesday. We arrived in Seward and did some walking in the downtown, but the weather was not cooperative, rainy and cool. The Alaska Sealife Center sound good, indoors. Well it was great! It is an educational center on sealife. We observed harbor seals and stellar sea lions swimming about. The ranger’s talk on seals was quite informative. The seals in Seward are disappearing….why? That is the reason for research. We spent most of the afternoon at the sealife center and then moved on to Stony Creek Campground. Nice and clean. Time to do laundry.

July 13, 2005, Wednesday. Stopped at the beauty shop and had the nicest young man fix my hair. Most Alaskans are transplants from the lower 48. Many come to get away from something, and some are just weird. It is a big, big place to get lost.
We stopped at the pier area and got info for tomorrow’s Kenai Peninsula cruise. The weather today, is again rainy, and it is affecting the boat trips. We will see what tomorrow brings.
Exit Glacier is a glacier one can actually walk out to. So off we went to the Ranger Station and began our walk to Exit Glacier. We kept passing sign indicating where the glacier had been in the past: 100 years ago it was here, 50 years ago it was here, 30 years ago, etc. etc. We hiked up to the glacier and got some nice photos.
Surprisingly we were getting cell reception and had the opportunity to make a few calls. Then headed on to the campground from hell, Miller’s Landing. It is good to be self-contained, with some electricity we were fine. There was no way I was going to use those bathrooms!
The good news was they had wifi and so Bob could use the internet to do some blogs.
The nasty weather, the nasty campground and I was thinking how nice my home is in Pittsburgh and getting home sick?! A nice bathtub, a comfy bed, a full kitchen,….what the hell am I doing here? “This is an adventure, this is an adventure!” I kept telling myself.





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Glaciated rock Glaciated rock
Glaciated rock

Which is stonger Ice or Rock. Then add water. Seems like rock is the weak one
MountainsMountains
Mountains

We never tired of these. If you could only see how many picture we took. This is a small part of bunch
Snow meltSnow melt
Snow melt

Water doing a job on this mountain. Given time what will these look like.


25th August 2005

Wisdom?
Stupid is, what stupid does. Forrest Gump - What does that mean anyway??

Tot: 0.589s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 41; qc: 191; dbt: 0.2586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb