Chugach National Forest - Portage Glacier


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Portage
August 6th 2012
Published: August 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I didn't have a blog yesterday because we stayed at Chugach National Forest near the Portage Glacier. It is sthe 2nd largest national forest in the U.S. It is in the Portage Valley near the Portage Glacier. There are several glaciers there which I mentioned when we visited there earlier. I am attaching a picture of a glacier. This is the view from where we parked our RV. As I said we didn't have a blog because of no wi-fi. Also no water and electricity. Real fun time! We stayed there because it was near where we needed to be this morning to start our trip. After we arrived at the campground, we drove to the nearby Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. My cousin, Linda highly recommended this. The Center is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving Alaska's Wildlife through education and quality animal care. They take orphaned and injured animals and provide them with care and spacious enclosures . I believe they have about 120 acres there. Those animals that cannot be released into the wild are either given a permanent home at the Center or moved to a different facility. They work with several facilities in the lower 48 states and worldwide. I took pictures of several of the different species of animals there. It seems they all have a different story. From the brown bears whose mother had been shot to the bald eagle who had been shot and had to have a wing amputated. They have wood bison there. They were once thought to be extinct but through the conservation effort at the Center, they will one day number in the tens of thousands. The Wood Bison restoration project is America's greatest effort of wildlife conservation in this century. I believe that in 2013 they will start releasing them to the wild.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0653s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb