Alaska Adventure - Anchorage to Portage


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Portage
July 20th 2008
Published: August 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Heading out!Heading out!Heading out!

Leaving Anchorage in the RV
Spent first half of day in Anchorage - readying for the trip, etc. We finally head out around 3pm to Portage area where we spent our first night. There was no need to hurry, so we doodled around stopping near Potter's March, Bird's Point, Beluga Point, and eventually made our way into the camp-ground for the evening.

Since the weather had been co-operatively sunny for most of the day, Kathy & I took a long leisurely walk around the nearby trails, while Irene & Nicole rode the bikes around. The salmon hadn't started running yet, so the stream was void of big fish. The waters sure looked icy, tho!

Had delicious burgers & grilled veggies over the camp fire for dinner. Even made a couple Smores before it started to rain, driving us inside the RV for the evening. It was nice to just spend the evening watching a movie & going to bed early ;-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Rocky beach belowRocky beach below
Rocky beach below

Some brave kids were climbing across the rocky ravines; but since it was a bit damp, we dared not risk it!
Cloud covering near Bird PointCloud covering near Bird Point
Cloud covering near Bird Point

The clouds were settling in from the south... made for some really dramatic pictures, tho! More on web site of Abizness Digital Images!
Blue skies near PortageBlue skies near Portage
Blue skies near Portage

This was taken on our walk around the trails near our camp-site. You can see the glacier was covered in snow!!!
Freezing waters of riverFreezing waters of river
Freezing waters of river

Glacier river water flowed... Notice the silty, gray water? brrr!
Dinner cookingDinner cooking
Dinner cooking

Started to get a bit chilly, so the best place to be was near the fire.


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb