Homer Alaska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
August 1st 2012
Published: August 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

As I mentioned we went to Homer yesterday and to the Homer Spit. As I said, the spit is a narrow piece of land extending into Kachemak Bay. All along the road that goes down the middle of the spit are restaurants, fishing charter businesses and little shops. The large docks are also there. I am attaching a picture of the fishing boats at the dock. In the background of the picture, the town of Homer is located on the bluff overlooking the spit. Whenever we mentioned to anyone that we were going to Homer, they said that we had to go inside the Salty Dawg Saloon. This is a very small building. So, we went inside and there are dollar bills attached everywhere, ceiling, walls, etc. All of the dollar bills are signed by the person that left them. I am attaching a picture of the inside. Homer has a population in the city limits of 5,550. They have a hospital there and the hospital service area is 13,000. They also have an airport. You can fly from Homer to Anchorage in 45 minutes. Their average summer temperature is 60 degreees and the average winter temperature is 24 degrees. Their annual snowfall is 55 inches. Commercial fishing is one of the largest industries in the state and vital to the economy of Homer. You can go deep sea fishing from Homer for halibut, salmon and cod. You can fish for salmon in the rivers and dig clams on the beaches. Fishing is truly a passion for Alaskans. I am attaching a picture of Carolyn, one of our fellow travelers, in front of the Seafarer's Memorial. Inside the memorial there are bronze plaques listing the names of those that had died at sea and the name of their boat. We had a chilly, damp day today as we had rain off and on. We had a soup supper tonight. Carolyn, Ruth, Becky and I each made a different kind of soup and Barbara made an apple cobbler complete with ice cream. Yum. We had the supper at Jerry and Carolyn's motor home as it was raining. Tomorrow we are going to Seward.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb