HOMER SPIT ABOUT 4 MILES [OF GRAVEL


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
August 25th 2010
Published: August 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

AUGUST 24


TUESDAY

… marilyn was able to work her california magic again today as we had blue skies all day long …

… tuesday was a homer spit day … the spit is a 4 mile long terminal morain … the tide was just turning when we went out on the spit and we walked out about a quarter of a mile on the hard packed sand that will be 18 feet under water when the ocean will be at high tide 6 hours later … made a video of the tide coming in … with each little wavelet the tide advanced about a foot … it definitely will be in the alaska video … we did a number of shops along the spit and eventually wound up at the salty dawg, the bar that everyone comes to see on the spit … thousands of dollars in one dollar bills are thumb tacked to the walls, ceilings, posts, window frames … each dollar is written on with a permanent black marker with messages, names, and the date … all we saw were bills dated aug. 2010 … we asked the bartender what happened to all the bills and she said the bank accepted them and a donation was made to the families of those lost at sea … this is a real problem here in homer where commercial fishermen are lost at sea every year ...

… later we had clam chowder in a bread bowl for lunch … we usually eat out of the “back of the van” so this was a real treat …

… the local art museum is the Pratt, a gem of a museum … 7 dollars for seniors … three hours passed in a flash … will leave it to marilyn to describe our visit … we were sorta kicked out at closing time and given passes for tomorrow …

… homer is at the base of a very steep sandstone bluff and we drove up the skyline drive and then out along the bay to to the end of the road … it is literally the end of the road in alaska … the farthest distance you can go if you drive up the alcan highway … much farther than driving up to prudo bay … we arrived back at the aliner about 9 and had supper and took pictures of the moon over the bay at 1030 local time …

… if your wondering what tomorrow will bring for us … we wonder the same thing … we know that miracles and adventures await us ...

… it’s time to turn in …

shalom, shaloms …

-tryingtoaddsomephotostothisblogsodefinatlyneedamiraclerichard




Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.118s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb